The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Need Urgent Help for making a decision

Hi which course is better - I need to chose between this two courses ?

Lancaster Economics vs Queen Mary London Maths with Finance and Accounting
PLEASE help me with your inputs to help make me the right choise
Hi @Ria17!!

I don't study economics, but I can share with you a little bit about my experience studying at Lancaster!

Lancaster is a proper campus university, about a 10/15 mins bus ride from the centre of the city. Campus itself has a really friendly feel to it with lots of green spaces and food outlets. Most first years choose to live on campus, however many students live in town and get the bus to lectures. I loved living on campus in my first year as it felt like a little village with everything I needed in one place and I could practically roll out of bed to get to lectures, however I have also really enjoyed being in town this year and having more of a separation between uni and home.

One of my favourite places on campus is our beautiful library! Complete with a range of study spaces to accommodate different styles of working and even its very own tree, it's definitely my favourite uni library I've ever seen. If you've not had the chance to visit Lancaster, I'd definitely recommend watching out campus tour video: https://youtu.be/ES5VVLtoRt8

Something else to note about Lancaster is our college system- every student belongs to a college which adds another layer of community. Each undergrad college has its own bar and organises social and wellbeing events throughout the year (often including free food events and winter balls). For a lot of students, societies and other extra curricular activities and events are a big part of uni life, so I'd definitely recommend looking at the student union websites for both unis too see what's on offer!

At the end of the day, it comes down to your personal preferences. Try and take the time to consider both courses and the characteristics of both unis (eg. campus or city, location, student life) and think about what you want! :smile:

Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Ria17!!
Hi which course is better - I need to chose between this two courses ?

Lancaster Economics vs Queen Mary London Maths with Finance and Accounting
PLEASE help me with your inputs to help make me the right choise

Hey!

I can definitely also give you some info about QM and you can compare different students experiences and hopefully that can inform you!

I don't do the course you're interested in but if you wanted to find out more I would definitely recommend visiting the course page and also talking to some students studying maths or similar courses over on unibuddy, I've put both links below! A lot of courses may overlap in terms of modules with the course so even if you can only find someone doing a similar course and not the exact same, you can still get a lot of info :smile:

Course page - https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2023/mathematics-with-finance-and-accounting/
Unibuddy - https://www.qmul.ac.uk/unibuddy/

Of course, QMUL is based in London and it is a very unique London university! We are the only Russel Group uni in London that is a campus, based in Mile End, East London. It's quite rare to get a campus uni in London so it is definitely one of our main selling points :biggrin: With a campus you get to have a 'typical' uni experience while being based in London, so you can experience campus living and the ease of it as well as being able to venture out into the capital city and enjoy city living too! We are super close to the centre of London so you're not stuck in one spot far far away either!

Our on-campus accommodation is a really great price compared to other London universities that are based more central because of our location. Prices range between approx. £140-185 per week whereas a lot of other London unis accommodation often costs £200+ per week! This provides very affordable London living which is often an issue that many people have with studying at London unis.

Although we are not based directly in the middle of central London, it is really easily accessible and very quick via the Tube, Overground, Elizabeth Line and buses which are all also well-priced! QM has 2 tube stations either side, Mile End and Stepney Green which serve the District, Hammersmith and City and Central lines and we are also nearby to Whitechapel which also serves the new Elizabeth line as well as Overground services :smile:

There is an infinite amount of (free!) things to do in the local area, let alone throughout all of London! We have a canal that runs alongside campus as well as Mile End Park and Victoria Park. Brick Line is 20mins away by bus which is right next door to Shoreditch, both very popular places to visit! Canary Wharf is also nearby as well as Stratford which has a Westfield shopping centre and the Olympic park.

On the actual campus, it is like its own world! We have a cafe, 2 Starbucks', a HUGE library, the canal, a restaurant/bar/club and lots and lots of social and study spaces. You can see our campus map here https://ph.qmul.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Article/Mile-End-campus-map.pdf and also view 360 tours here https://www.qmul.ac.uk/study/explore-our-campuses/mile-end/. Speaking of the library, a great perk of studying at a London uni is that you can use other University of London libraries (such as UCL, Kings College, Greenwich, Kingston) which, again, gives you another chance to see London

We have so much good support here too, such as a great advice and counselling service, disability and dyslexia service and an amazing career service which can support you for 3 years after you graduate. The careers service runs many projects which are great as CV boosters and also for general experience to gain skills. For example, they run a project where they can fund you to kickstart a new business and are sometimes sponsored by other businesses so the funding can add up to quite a lot!

I've had a really great time studying at QM and I really don't want it to end! People here are really nice and we are known for being a very inclusive and diverse uni. We have over 250 societies and the number is growing which gives you amazing opportunities to make friends while doing something you enjoy and through society events, you can also further explore London.

I really hope this helps and that you can make a decision soon! Good luck with everything :smile:

- Liv, Student Ambassador and Official Rep
Reply 3
Thanks to both Student Ambassadors for the detailed responses .
Original post by Ria17!!
Thanks to both Student Ambassadors for the detailed responses .

Where were you hoping to go to?Have a good dig into the detail of the courses.@Ghostlady can answer any general questions about Lancaster.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
Where were you hoping to go to?Have a good dig into the detail of the courses.@Ghostlady can answer any general questions about Lancaster.

I am london based - so leaning more towards QMUL (and need to make a decision by 9 am today for it) . Still struggling to convince myself that the QMUL BSc Mathematics with Finance and Accounting is better than Econ at Lancester. Wish I could talk to some students who were doing either of this 2 courses .
Original post by Ria17!!
I am london based - so leaning more towards QMUL (and need to make a decision by 9 am today for it) . Still struggling to convince myself that the QMUL BSc Mathematics with Finance and Accounting is better than Econ at Lancester. Wish I could talk to some students who were doing either of this 2 courses .

Try posting in the Lancaster thread or make a new thread with the titles of the courses in the title to attract the more exact attention.
Original post by Ria17!!

Hey @Ria17!!

Once again - sorry I don't study economics but I have quite a few friends who currently study economics and all their feedback has been very positive. They enjoy their teaching style; you get to choose a minor subject with econ being your major (this is general in Lancaster and a lot of students like this); the workload is reasonable with I believe there being some essays; I know there are a few really cool society that the econ students like such as investing (really competitive to get in but worth it), women in business and econ itself! And finally, Lancaster is quite popular for its economics and business courses (they invest a lot into these courses) and you will 100% see at least 1 person studying econ in the library at all times!

^ I hope that little exposure to econ I had helped - I will flag this (and your other thread) so that any other ambassador who knows more about economics can contribute or just to help you answer any more questions about anything.

I know that you have very little time to make such a big decision but be positive and JUST ASK (call or message) so that you can make the most informed decision. Apart from the course (the teaching method, prospects for students) - do cover other aspects such as location of university, mode of transport, campus or no campus, housing, general costs etc.

Good luck - you got this!

Shaheer (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ria17!!

@Ria17!!

I would also recommend contacting current students via Unibuddy to be able to speak to students studying specific subjects - I used it before coming to university to ask A LOT of questions. The students are really helpful and get back to you as soon as possible.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/unibuddy/

Hope this helps!

Shaheer (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending