The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

accommodation cost question

A bit confused about the residence + catering charge.

The web page says £8301 for 39 weeks in a standard room (shared bathroom) in a catered college. Catering is £2490 of that. It says "39 weeks" but then below that says catering is only provided for 31 weeks and most students only use the core 29 weeks of term.

So if there's only 29 weeks of term, why is the accommodation charge for 39 weeks? If I only stay for 29 weeks, is the total accommodation charge less? Or am I paying for the room over e.g. christmas and easter as well when catering isn't provided.

https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/accommodation-and-catering/residence-charges/undergraduate-residence-charges/
Yes you are paying for the holidays.39 weeks is pretty standard at unis but that is is a lot of money.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by lungh

The web page says £8301 for 39 weeks in a standard room (shared bathroom) in a catered college. Catering is £2490 of that. It says "39 weeks" but then below that says catering is only provided for 31 weeks and most students only use the core 29 weeks of term.

So if there's only 29 weeks of term, why is the accommodation charge for 39 weeks? If I only stay for 29 weeks, is the total accommodation charge less? Or am I paying for the room over e.g. christmas and easter as well when catering isn't provided.

https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/accommodation-and-catering/residence-charges/undergraduate-residence-charges/

You're paying for the room for 39 weeks but charged only for food for 31 weeks- so you're entitled to stay in your room over the holidays but they won't provide any food for you. (and typically you can't avoid being charged for holidays even if you're not there)
Original post by lungh

Hiya

It's exactly how @BrDy has mentioned. When you're staying over the holiday period, you still pay for your room but not for catering. You are given access to a kitchen where you can cook for yourself. Some people prefer to survive on takeaways or Tesco meal deals though :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest