The Student Room Group

Banking Internship without relevant degree

How would I go about looking for banking internships/work experience over the easter or summer holidays? I'm going into my second year at university doing a degree irrelevant to finance so instantly the big firms are out of the question.
The big firms tend to be the ones that don't care about degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by JordanTRichie
The big firms tend to be the ones that don't care about degrees.

Interesting, so you think i should try to apply for them?
Original post by TobyyyyW
How would I go about looking for banking internships/work experience over the easter or summer holidays? I'm going into my second year at university doing a degree irrelevant to finance so instantly the big firms are out of the question.

As noted above, the bigger firms (e.g. big4, IB, consulting, etc) tend to have zero univeristy subject requirements for most internship and graduate roles. This is because what unis teach isn't that similar to the types of things you need to know when actually working in industry, therefore they accept all subjects and just provide you with the relevant training, they only really care about you being smart rather than having lots of subject specific knowledge.

The only exceptions are for obvious things. For example, legal roles will likely require you to be studying a law degree, same with economist positions and studying economics. Some of the very quantitative roles like research and Sales & Trading sometimes require you to be studying a STEM degree. But most roles don't have subject requirements.

Original post by TobyyyyW
Interesting, so you think i should try to apply for them?

This is completely up to you. I wouldn't let someone on TSR discourage you from applying to anything unless it's blatently a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending