Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My new air filter arrived today... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)

I'm fully aware that there will be people that hate what I do to my cars and there will be those that love it. However, I don't modify cars for other people. They are built to suit just one person; me.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the V8 conversion...

I just think (personal opinion) that air intake looks cheap and tacky. On a par with fake bonnet scoops etc. Especially as it barely adds to the performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)

I just think (personal opinion) that air intake looks cheap and tacky. On a par with fake bonnet scoops etc. Especially as it barely adds to the performance.

Having said that... I prefer to drive something that has no performance expectations to live up to... it's always amusing beating someone off the lights to stop them pushing into your lane in a 1971 VW campervan

The scoop automatically makes people expect a lot more performance from the car... which can make its speed less of a surprise?

ReputationRep:
    It goes with the whole theme of the car though...
    Massive rear tyres + small fronts
    Low nose high rear stance
    Side pipe exhausts that do little in the way of silencing
    Yellow and black bodywork

It'll fit in when I've sorted the rest of the car.
    Besides which, the scoop is only used for summer. Winter time will mean a different bonnet and a lowrider filter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    It goes with the whole theme of the car though...
    Massive rear tyres + small fronts
    Low nose high rear stance
    Side pipe exhausts that do little in the way of silencing
    Yellow and black bodywork

It'll fit in when I've sorted the rest of the car.
    Besides which, the scoop is only used for summer. Winter time will mean a different bonnet and a lowrider filter.
    Surely you would want high nose low rear, so as to maximise weight transfer off the line? Unless you run a huge amount of rebound on the front to prevent the front dampers reaching max extension..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prodriven)
    Surely you would want high nose low rear, so as to maximise weight transfer off the line? Unless you run a huge amount of rebound on the front to prevent the front dampers reaching max extension..?
    Running on a strip is completely different to running on a road.
    Tyre compound + pressure is different along with the surface you run on.
    When you launch, the front left wheel will try to lift. When the car gets serious power (600 ish) both wheels will lift clean off the deck anyway. No point raising the front end up as it will only increase the chance of a wheel stand.

Besides which, An MGB would look silly as a "Gasser" (high front low rear).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)

Just like every other car ever made?

ReputationRep:
    Just like every other car ever made?
    Not at all, I love gassers. It doesn't suit every model, though.

These Willys coupe's looks spot on:

as does this anglia

ReputationRep:
    To my mind they just look daft

Each to their own...

Have some more

I'd still prefer them (all) with stock height & bodywork

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Running on a strip is completely different to running on a road.
    Tyre compound + pressure is different along with the surface you run on.
    When you launch, the front left wheel will try to lift. When the car gets serious power (600 ish) both wheels will lift clean off the deck anyway. No point raising the front end up as it will only increase the chance of a wheel stand.

Whatever the surface or tyres the laws of physics should remain :p: !

By running the front high you are minimising the risk of it lifting. You removed the front to rear load tranfers which will cause the wheels to lift and you also maximise the weight transfer (i.e. work being done by the two rear tyres) before the vehicle has even started moving.

I see the high rear theory working for sole use dragsters but for a road car used on the strip I dont think the high rear is the ultimate - although it does look a damn site better :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    thats my idea of how stupid cars can actually get. what the enthusiasts see in those things is beyond me. give me an aerodynamic open wheeler any day :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prodriven)
    Whatever the surface or tyres the laws of physics should remain :p: !

By running the front high you are minimising the risk of it lifting. You removed the front to rear load tranfers which will cause the wheels to lift and you also maximise the weight transfer (i.e. work being done by the two rear tyres) before the vehicle has even started moving.

I see the high rear theory working for sole use dragsters but for a road car used on the strip I dont think the high rear is the ultimate - although it does look a damn site better :gthumb:

This was the thinking back in the 50's when Gassers were the "in thing". They got it wrong too.

I'd like the car eventually to be just below a pro-street car in terms of both power and performance. I'll settle for single digit quaters. After that, it starts getting into silly money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    thats my idea of how stupid cars can actually get. what the enthusiasts see in those things is beyond me. give me an aerodynamic open wheeler any day :p:

My B will do wheel stands like that one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    My B will do wheel stands like that one day.
    get a BMX and you can do them now? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    This was the thinking back in the 50's when Gassers were the "in thing". They got it wrong too.

I'd like the car eventually to be just below a pro-street car in terms of both power and performance. I'll settle for single digit quaters. After that, it starts getting into silly money.
    But those 'gassers' are fundamentally wrong. You dont need to worry about load and weight transfer when the rear tyre contact patches are so much greater than the front. Unless you are able to fit similar size front and rear tyres?

Unless you are able to control a low (i.e. none!) rebound on the front dampers (as I beleive the 'pro' class do) then the easiest way of getting the best traction off the line is to preset the front end into the optimum position. If your happy your dampers are setup and capable of coping with the rebound control then you'll probably be fine, but its amazing how many cars go onto strips with there suspension set to 'look like the pros' but without that level of equipment....

ReputationRep:
    Rear is 7 leaf cart springs (for now) with rear ARB removed, front will be shortened 600lb race springs uprated lever arm dampers and a 3/4" or 7/8" ARB.
    Tyre pressures are 9psi rear 60psi front.

The suspension will barely move. Which, for drag racing, is exactly what you want.
    It will be compromised as a road car, but I don't particularly care since it'll be used for gentle cruising and having it large away from the lights.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.