The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Really wanted to go to Uni of Lancaster but I was too late for clearing

I didn't know how clearing worked, I even woke up really early so I could be the first in line for Management and Information Technology (Industry) at Lancaster. I even saw it on the clearing section and click on it and everything but I didn't know what to do! I went to school to collect my results and speak to the advisor so I know how to use clearing and understand how it worked, when I got home I called and they said there were no more places available! I am super stressed out now as my only option is to really take a gap year, which my parents will not like one bit and I also have no clue what to even do in my gap year if I can't get a place in another uni. I'm super mad with myself that I didn't just call up at 8 am when I was looking on their website!!!
Original post by kye335
I didn't know how clearing worked, I even woke up really early so I could be the first in line for Management and Information Technology (Industry) at Lancaster. I even saw it on the clearing section and click on it and everything but I didn't know what to do! I went to school to collect my results and speak to the advisor so I know how to use clearing and understand how it worked, when I got home I called and they said there were no more places available! I am super stressed out now as my only option is to really take a gap year, which my parents will not like one bit and I also have no clue what to even do in my gap year if I can't get a place in another uni. I'm super mad with myself that I didn't just call up at 8 am when I was looking on their website!!!

Hi @kye335,
I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to get a place on the course you wanted through clearing. But please don't be annoyed with yourself, the system can be confusing especially if you are feeling stressed. You did the right thing checking how everything works with an advisor.

The options I can currently recommend are calling up Lancaster again and exploring your options on a different course (our clearing hotline is 0800 298 9542) or looking for a place at another university.

If you have anymore questions please let us know!
Best wishes,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @kye335,
I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to get a place on the course you wanted through clearing. But please don't be annoyed with yourself, the system can be confusing especially if you are feeling stressed. You did the right thing checking how everything works with an advisor.

The options I can currently recommend are calling up Lancaster again and exploring your options on a different course (our clearing hotline is 0800 298 9542) or looking for a place at another university.

Best wishes,

Hi, Ive called twice and kept refreshing the website and im having no luck what so ever! And looking at other unis Ive had a look at their courses and odnt really like them too much. I guess I need to keep holding out to Lancaster knowing the chances are near to none
Reply 3
First, never blame yourself for things you did not know.

What matters now is how you can work through this and get yourself into a solid position.
If you do decide to take a gap year, you have to plan what you intend to do with it.

You can decide to take up courses to learn more about the career you want to get into, you can also decide to get a job.
I know LinkedIn learning has a couple of free courses right now available until certain dates. ( https://opportunity.linkedin.com/skills-for-in-demand-jobs ). There are still many other free courses out there for you to do.
Sadly it just looks like some people beat you to the chase, the best thing to do is follow the advice above and call for a different course/consider different options through clearing. Sorry this isn't the best news but I hope that this all goes well for you in the long run :hugs:
Hi @kye335,

Best wishes,

Hello! To add briefly to Eloise's reply, please call Lancaster University on the number above. While your first choice programme may not be available in clearing, other Management programmes still are (as of the time of this reply https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/clearing/courses/). Good luck with everything!

Ben
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Hi @kye335,

Best wishes,

Hi, Ive called twice and kept refreshing the website and im having no luck what so ever! And looking at other unis Ive had a look at their courses and odnt really like them too much. I guess I need to keep holding out to Lancaster knowing the chances are near to none
Reply 7
HI tank you for your reply. but im more after the IT side of things so the other management courses do not interest me as much :frown:
Original post by Lancaster University
Hello! I am sorry to hear that

Hello! To add briefly to Eloise's reply, please call Lancaster University on the number above. While your first choice programme may not be available in clearing, other Management programmes still are (as of the time of this reply https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/clearing/courses/). Good luck with everything!

Ben
Original post by kye335
HI tank you for your reply. but im more after the IT side of things so the other management courses do not interest me as much :frown:

A final thought. The programme you are looking at (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/management-and-information-technology-industry-bsc-hons-gn52/) sits in the department of Organisation, Work and Technology (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums/our-departments/organisation-work-and-technology/undergraduate/).

I can see that we have spaces on (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/management-and-human-resources-bsc-hons-n600/) which sits in the same department and shares modules with GN52.

There is a lot of flexibility in our programmes of study. Perhaps if you call the hotline again, you can ask about N600 and see if it might be for you, that you might be able to steer it more to IT in part 2.

Good luck again.

B
Reply 9
Thank you so much! I called and was offered until tomorrow at 4PM to decide whether I want to go ahead with the course!
Original post by kye335
Thank you so much! I called and was offered until tomorrow at 4PM to decide whether I want to go ahead with the course!

Hi @kye335,

That's amazing to hear! I'm glad Ben was able to help you find a solution. Take sometime to think it over but hopefully we will see you in Lancaster soon! :smile:

Best wishes,

Quick Reply