The Student Room Group

national 5 talk

i have a question for you all Ive just started S5 yesterday and for my National 5 I got A in art and italian and B for maths and english and C for chemistry and D for physics and biology I picked biology chemistry english maths and italian as my subjects and my school isnt letting me resit national 5 exam again for Biology they are saying you can choose art you can never do biology choose your strongest but I want to do biology N5 im really confused and mentally not good right now can you not apply to medicine if you do 5 highers in S6 and then you do 3 advance highers in college
Sorry your results were not what you are hoping for.

Very very few people go from a D or even C at NAT5 to an A at Higher, statisically many with those grades in NAT5 wont even pass higher. Your school knows this, they know higher is a big step up, and they are trying to support you to get better highers in the areas you have shown strengths in instead.

For entry to medicine at uni you will need AAAAA at Higher in S5, spaces are extremely limited and you will be competing with straight A students for those spaces. You need to be honest with yourself if this is realistic for you. The jump in science and maths from NAT5 to higher is big, especially when you havent grasped the NAT5 basics, and taking two sciences from C and D to higher AA is very unlikely.

Your best bet is to get an appointment with your careers advisor and Universities to see if there are alternative routes or careers in a similar area you might be interested in.
Reply 2
Original post by Rbxx_06
i have a question for you all Ive just started S5 yesterday and for my National 5 I got A in art and italian and B for maths and english and C for chemistry and D for physics and biology I picked biology chemistry english maths and italian as my subjects and my school isnt letting me resit national 5 exam again for Biology they are saying you can choose art you can never do biology choose your strongest but I want to do biology N5 im really confused and mentally not good right now can you not apply to medicine if you do 5 highers in S6 and then you do 3 advance highers in college

Hi sorry that your results weren’t what you were hoping for

I’m sorry but I don’t think medicine is an option due to the fact that 5 A’s are a must and your Nat5 grades may be looked into

Highest are also on a different level compared to Nat5’s

Sorry about your results and hope u do well!!
Like others said for medicine your looking for 5 A at higher in S5 with usually 2 AH in S6. Looking from Nat 5 this might not be the best option. There are other area in that space you will be able to do but medicine is one of if not the most competitive course out there
Reply 4
hi t

Original post by BlackLab
Sorry your results were not what you are hoping for.

Very very few people go from a D or even C at NAT5 to an A at Higher, statisically many with those grades in NAT5 wont even pass higher. Your school knows this, they know higher is a big step up, and they are trying to support you to get better highers in the areas you have shown strengths in instead.

For entry to medicine at uni you will need AAAAA at Higher in S5, spaces are extremely limited and you will be competing with straight A students for those spaces. You need to be honest with yourself if this is realistic for you. The jump in science and maths from NAT5 to higher is big, especially when you havent grasped the NAT5 basics, and taking two sciences from C and D to higher AA is very unlikely.

Your best bet is to get an appointment with your careers advisor and Universities to see if there are alternative routes or careers in a similar area you might be interested in.

thank you I decided just last night if the school could give me and opportunity for chemistry higher this year and i will do maths english, media, italian and chemistry higher this year so next year I will do advance higher for maths english italian so i can apply for law university
Reply 5
Original post by Roseforever
Like others said for medicine your looking for 5 A at higher in S5 with usually 2 AH in S6. Looking from Nat 5 this might not be the best option. There are other area in that space you will be able to do but medicine is one of if not the most competitive course out there

yes i get it i will choose subjects for law and now im thinking of becoming a lawyer because i have the option for it thank you so much🦋😌
Another very competitive course (and quite a leap from medicine to law!). My girlfriend had straight A's for NAT5 and Higher and still had a conditional for another A in S6. You will also need to prepare and study for the LNAT exams.

Good luck with your studies in S5 and S6.
Reply 7
Another very competitive course (and quite a leap from medicine to law!). My girlfriend had straight A's for NAT5 and Higher and still had a conditional for another A in S6. You will also need to prepare and study for the LNAT exams.

Good luck with your studies in S5 and S6.

im doing all highers now maths english italian art and chemistry the most important one is english i guess because thats what glasgow university said. is LNAT exam hard?
Original post by Rbxx_06
im doing all highers now maths english italian art and chemistry the most important one is english i guess because thats what glasgow university said. is LNAT exam hard?

Yes, LNAT is hard. It is used as a decider to filter all the mostly straight A students that apply for law.
Reply 9
Yes, LNAT is hard. It is used as a decider to filter all the mostly straight A students that apply for law.

oh what kind of questions do they ask lol this is scary now, nevermind i will focus this year for my classes and next year i will think about it

Quick Reply