Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok.... I've been at uni for 2 months now, and i've decided that i should have taken a GAP year. I'm thinking that i should take one now before its too late and i feel i might regret it if i don't... I'm not hating it at uni or anything i'm just not ready for a 4 year engineering course after all that time at school.
    Any opinions??

ReputationRep:
    I had completely the same "problem" as you seem to have. Last january I was sooo excited about uni and everything but now having started uni I thought it would have been better to have a gap year.
    After having had all the stress at school and organising stuff for uni I did not feel ready enough to go to uni abroad and stay there for the next four years. I think it takes a lot of thinking and talking to family and friends before deciding because still it is a huge step
    Would you like to stay at the uni you are now? Because if you want to continue your studies at this uni next year you should talk to your adviser or someone and also to the department cause maybe there is a possibility that you could have some kind of deferred entry for next year and you wouldnt need to re-apply for uni for next year!
    What is your plan for your gap year? What would you like to do?
    Im going to be an au-pair in Ireland for the next couple of months and then see what happens.
    Maybe, if Im lucky, Im just having a couple of gap months and re-starting uni in February already =)

ReputationRep:
    I have talked to people and I can come back and do exactly the same next year, I also get to choose exactly what accommodation I want and even which room I get!
    I am planning on working at Christmas for a month or two and then flying off to Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji/Hawaii and then onto the US. I will then work the summer before I come back to Uni. Not sure exactly what I would be doing in these places, but I'm really looking forward to it!!
    The only problem being is that my university costs have come to £3000+ so far...
    Good luck will being an au-pair! I heard very good and very bad things about it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.