The Student Room Group

GCSE grade F

I done my GCSE in 1989 I got six grade F a grade G and an E. It affected me so much I lost all my confidence took only minimum wage jobs since developed anxiety and depression. I was sure I had done well and the teachers marked my exam wrong. I'm thinking of going bk to college but at 51 I'm nervous . I no very little about IT and am not used to been in a social circle. I do nt want to fall behind and feel anxious about it but want to do either an access course or GCSE all over again. My confidence has been shot since school
Original post by Dermy72
I done my GCSE in 1989 I got six grade F a grade G and an E. It affected me so much I lost all my confidence took only minimum wage jobs since developed anxiety and depression. I was sure I had done well and the teachers marked my exam wrong. I'm thinking of going bk to college but at 51 I'm nervous . I no very little about IT and am not used to been in a social circle. I do nt want to fall behind and feel anxious about it but want to do either an access course or GCSE all over again. My confidence has been shot since school

most people doing access courses will be mature students so they will have the facilities to get you up to speed with things like IT, go for it, you'll never know if you don't.
Reply 2
Do go back to college. It's easy to blame everything on the past but everyone has a 'past'

If 50 somethings can train from scratch to run a marathon you can learn and be a late starter

Ask at your local college as many offer free tuition in Maths and English. I believe they should offer you an assessment, so just go down there and see how you get on?

You won't be alone and if you don't do this now you never will ..... what is to lose?
Original post by Dermy72

You've got this! :hugs: The government have a list of free level 3 qualifications you could do, if you do not already have one
As claireestelle said another option is an access course which is a good idea :yes:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/find-a-free-level-3-qualification/list-of-free-level-3-qualifications-available-to-eligible-adults
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Welcome to the adult education pathway. There’s lots of us taking GCSEs etc at college etc. In my maths class there was a 64 year old.

There is no age limit to learning, so go for it.
Reply 5
Ps. For life skills, gcses and level 3s or 4s check out the local adult education college. For diplomas and degrees the Open University is an option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending