The Student Room Group

university choices

Hi, I do Law, Sociology and english lit for my A-levels and predicted A*A*A, I was thinking of applying to Cambridge, Manchester, LSE and maybe Nottingham, and Warwick.

Its the current year 13's results day and I am seeing people with all A*s or similar to my predicted grades get into non russell group unis or russell groups which I assumed it was wayyy easier to get into (for someone with 4 A*s for example).

My qs is am i aiming too high by applying to the uni's that I am, should I consider diff ones as backups?

bit of a weird post ik but pls do share any thoughts
Original post by arubashah
Hi, I do Law, Sociology and english lit for my A-levels and predicted A*A*A, I was thinking of applying to Cambridge, Manchester, LSE and maybe Nottingham, and Warwick.

Its the current year 13's results day and I am seeing people with all A*s or similar to my predicted grades get into non russell group unis or russell groups which I assumed it was wayyy easier to get into (for someone with 4 A*s for example).

My qs is am i aiming too high by applying to the uni's that I am, should I consider diff ones as backups?

I'd say go with 3 or 4 of those, but make sure you've got a couple of safer options there too. Unis have been careful not to give out too many offers for competitive courses last year and this year, which has meant that some higher aspiration candidates may have missed out. It's possible that the slide back to normality might ease that situation for your application cycle, but uni admissions can be unpredictable at the best of times. Your predicted grades are high, so you can and should be ambitious. Just remember to include a couple of safer choices too.

I think with predictions of A*A*A you want to end up with a Firm choice asking for A*AA and an Insurance asking for AAA. I think your suggested unis are sensible enough if that is your strategy.
Reply 3
Thank u both for your responses! I am eligible for contextual offers so i know that some of the ones mentioned might make an offer for lower grades!
Thank u both for your responses! I am eligible for contextual offers so i know that some of the ones mentioned might make an offer for lower grades!

Even better :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest