The Student Room Group

Art foundation & fashion please help

I’ve always had no idea what I was planning to study at uni and now I think I want to study fashion design at uni but the problem is I don’t have an appropriate portfolio. I currently study art and design but my sketchbook is not related to fashion at all. I’m going to y13 in sept and thinking of doing the art foundation after. I know many unis offer it but the accommodation and costs just seem stressful. My best shot is at my college as they offer the foundation course and it’s free but my worry is will I be able to pursue a fashion focussed portfolio? Even though I haven’t taken a fashion or textiles a level, therefore don’t have the more complexed skills etc so will I have to take a fine art focus? I’m also worried about going to uni a year later and not having any friends around
I'm pretty sure Art Foundation courses are free, but please make sure to double check :smile:
Original post by snowydaisy
I’ve always had no idea what I was planning to study at uni and now I think I want to study fashion design at uni but the problem is I don’t have an appropriate portfolio. I currently study art and design but my sketchbook is not related to fashion at all. I’m going to y13 in sept and thinking of doing the art foundation after. I know many unis offer it but the accommodation and costs just seem stressful. My best shot is at my college as they offer the foundation course and it’s free but my worry is will I be able to pursue a fashion focussed portfolio? Even though I haven’t taken a fashion or textiles a level, therefore don’t have the more complexed skills etc so will I have to take a fine art focus? I’m also worried about going to uni a year later and not having any friends around

Hi there!

I am a current fashion design student about to go into my final year at uni, and I also did an art foundation course before coming. I did do textiles A level as well, but once I got onto my art foundation I found there was actually a huge amount of flexibility with what you were able to do. For example, we did briefs relating to all different areas of art, including fashion, so that you were able to try out a variety of things and see what you really enjoyed most. Also, if you knew which area you most wanted to focus on, you were able to tailor all of the different briefs to suit this which is what I did. I therefore always made sure to include a fashion aspect in every project, so I could build up my portfolio which I am sure you will be able to do!

If you are unsure on whether you want to do a foundation year however, I know there are other people on my course who came straight from doing art and were able to still get in without any prior fashion experience. This is definitely possible if you still have an interesting and varied portfolio! There is a big focus in first year on getting everyone to the same level in terms of things like sewing skills as well so you don't need to worry too much about the technical side of things.

I completely understand your concerns about going to uni a year later, but from my experience I made several new friends on my foundation course and so in the end it didn't really matter that some of my other friends had already gone to uni. I would definitely ask your teachers about the course and see if you feel interested! I found it was a great year of learning new techniques and helping to broaden my range of ideas, so I do think it can be really beneficial before you start at university. :smile:

Anna - Student rep
Original post by snowydaisy

Hi there!

Arts University Plymouth offers something called an Extended BA (similar to a foundation degree) which I have linked below. This is similar to a Foundation degree in the sense of it helps you to develop your portfolio with your specific UG degree in mind. It does say on the entry requirements that a portfolio is required, but this can be anything from a mood-board or a current piece of work that you can present during an interview to showcase your artistic and creative flair. This doesn't have to be a piece of work that is relevant to the course you want to study, i.e you could present some fine art designs during your interview for a Fashion and Communication Extended BA. Other universities may also specifically say that a portfolio is required, but again it could be presenting a piece of your current work that isn't fashion related, but it allows you to showcase your skills.
https://www.aup.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/level-0-extended-degrees

If you need some help with putting a portfolio together, I've linked our portfolio guide page that has a free download specifically designed to help you make the most of what you have available to you to create the best portfolio that showcases you and your work.
https://www.aup.ac.uk/posts/portfolio-guide

If you have any universities in mind that you would like to potentially study at, it might be worth contacting their recruitment teams to find out what advice they have regarding experience and portfolios. They're usually the best place to get all the info you need and are super helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest