Why can't you differentiate engineers? watch

ReputationRep:
    Because they have no function. :yep: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    *slow clap*

Well done.

ReputationRep:
    *negs*

It would work considerably better with physicists rather than engineers :dry:

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it...:confused:

(Original post by ukebert)
    *negs*

It would work considerably better with physicists rather than engineers :dry:
    *negs* :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyyy2807)
    Not good, not good at all :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshm)
    I don't get it...:confused:
    in order to differentiate anything, one would need a function. What I said implied that engineers have no function in society and hence one cannot differentiate engineers.

p.s. i hate physics. lol

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't even make sense. It's like saying we can't differentiate this equation

x^2 + y^2 = 1 because y isn't a function of x (and can't be rearranged to become one either). Except we can differentiate it...

I agree with ukebert that this would work better, but not actually work, if you said physicists.

Go home.

ReputationRep:
    I am depressed at the state of humanity.

ReputationRep:
    Worst joke since billy connoly told those terrorist blokes to get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    That doesn't even make sense. It's like saying we can't differentiate this equation

x^2 + y^2 = 1 because y isn't a function of x. Except we can differentiate it...

I agree with ukebert that this would work better, but not actually work, if you said physicists.

Go home.
    it was only a joke at the expense of engineers. don't have to get worked up about it.

ReputationRep:
    it was only a joke at the expense of engineers. don't have to get worked up about it.
    The irony being that Engineers fulfill one of the most vital functions within society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)

x^2 + y^2 = 1 because y isn't a function of x (and can't be rearranged to become one either). Except we can differentiate it...

Go home.
    f(x,y) = 1

So it is a function...

ReputationRep:
    in order to differentiate anything, one would need a function. What I said implied that engineers have no function in society and hence one cannot differentiate engineers.

p.s. i hate physics. lol
    I understand that. What I don't understand is how engineers don't have a function when clearly the advancement of society is down to engineers.

I think it would work better for both mathematicians and physicists, even though I'm applying to joint honours maths and physics at uni.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    f(x,y) = 1

So it is a function...
    Haha fair enough. I meant a function of one variable but I take your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    The irony being that Engineers fulfill one of the most vital functions within society.
    yes they probably do, but other professions are also equally vital functions within society. one could simply engineers to another profession, e.g. doctors, economists, musicians, accountants, etc, and the joke would still work. lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ok before the physicist hate goes on much further, can I just say QUANTUM PHYSICS. :p:

ReputationRep:
    wow this was a **** joke

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you differentiate novelists?

Fixed ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshm)
    I understand that. What I don't understand is how engineers don't have a function when clearly the advancement of society is down to engineers.

I think it would work better for both mathematicians and physicists, even though I'm applying to joint honours maths and physics at uni.:p:
    it's suppose to be a joke at the expense of engineers. but of course engineers, like everyone else, have a function, in fact some might argue that they have more than a function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    wow this was a **** joke
    it probs is. but i just wanted the reaction i'd get from physicts/engineers lol

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.