The Student Room Group

maths degree

I was wondering if someone was to study a maths degree at a mid-lower ranking university and came out with a 2:1 or even a first, does that still look good and give you high career prospects, or due to the university you graduated from it wouldn't be respected as much?

e.g if i was to graduate with a 2:1 in maths at queen mary would my career prospects and employability be high?
Would be the same as doing a maths degree at any other uni for basically any job except investment banking or management consulting.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Would be the same as doing a maths degree at any other uni for basically any job except investment banking or management consulting.

i think i mainly want to go into finance but it may change obv in the future so would i be better off doing politics in warwick which i have never done before and quite **** at essays and debating or would i rather go to queen mary for maths which i know i will struggle too
Original post by imcrying
i think i mainly want to go into finance but it may change obv in the future so would i be better off doing politics in warwick which i have never done before and quite **** at essays and debating or would i rather go to queen mary for maths which i know i will struggle too

What do you mean by "finance"? That is the question!

If you mean investment banking or management consulting then the simple matter is if you're not going to a target uni you massively shoot yourself from the get go. If you mean other financial services roles, e.g. actuarial roles, accountancy, etc, then it's not really important where you study. For quant finance (which I would note normally would require a PhD minimum) it might matter where you study but since you have to get a PhD in the end anyway (or at least a masters, although I seriously doubt if you can manage with just a masters to break into the field) you can "trade up" to a target uni for masters/PhD.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
What do you mean by "finance"? That is the question!

If you mean investment banking or management consulting then the simple matter is if you're not going to a target uni you massively shoot yourself from the get go. If you mean other financial services roles, e.g. actuarial roles, accountancy, etc, then it's not really important where you study. For quant finance (which I would note normally would require a PhD minimum) it might matter where you study but since you have to get a PhD in the end anyway (or at least a masters, although I seriously doubt if you can manage with just a masters to break into the field) you can "trade up" to a target uni for masters/PhD.

i'm not sure what i want to go into. i would pick warwick but the most thing im hesitant about is that im not sure if i will be able to do well in essay writing or debating. im hesitant to choose a risky subject as i know that math would be a safe option having done maths and further maths at alevel.
Original post by imcrying
i'm not sure what i want to go into. i would pick warwick but the most thing im hesitant about is that im not sure if i will be able to do well in essay writing or debating. im hesitant to choose a risky subject as i know that math would be a safe option having done maths and further maths at alevel.

Politics isn't about "debating", it's about writing a well considered, logically consistent academic argument (thesis) in an essay.

But if you don't really have any interest in politics as an academic subject, I can't say I'd suggest that's a good idea to do a degree in it...
Reply 6
I agree with what the other person said. Finance is a very competitive field and there's certain unis which are "target unis" for the big banks. Warwick is one of these. I'm at Warwick right now doing a business degree even, and a lot of my friends have had great success in their applications simply due to the reputation of Warwick's business school. I took that into account when applying, and since I don't know a thing about Queen Mary's I would assume it's because it's not as notable for finance/business degrees. Also, do a subject you actually enjoy. There are pathways into finance outside of a business degree, it's not the be all and end all of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending