The Student Room Group

I was predicted B and i have gotten 3 A *

I have received my A level results today and have overachieved my predicted grades of 3 Bs and have achieved 3 A*. I have an unconditional offer at Cardiff Met to study Law; however, I had wanted to study at a Russel group University but was advised against applying due to my predicted grades. Please would you advise me whether i should stay with my offer at cardiff met or take a gap year and reapply as most russel group unis do not offer clearing. i am also aware tha employees often look for those with law degrees from Russel unis as in the top law firms due to the competitiveness, so i am so confused what to do as i really dont want a gap year but in the long term when i am applying for a job what would be more useful.
Original post by Emilywilcoooo
I have received my A level results today and have overachieved my predicted grades of 3 Bs and have achieved 3 A*. I have an unconditional offer at Cardiff Met to study Law; however, I had wanted to study at a Russel group University but was advised against applying due to my predicted grades. Please would you advise me whether i should stay with my offer at cardiff met or take a gap year and reapply as most russel group unis do not offer clearing. i am also aware tha employees often look for those with law degrees from Russel unis as in the top law firms due to the competitiveness, so i am so confused what to do as i really dont want a gap year but in the long term when i am applying for a job what would be more useful.

Law is one of those subjects where your university is important to your future career prospects.
1 year gap year is nothing in the scheme of things.

For such great grades I think u should take a gap year, do the LNAT, got some work experience an reapply to a top uni.
Honestly, forget Cardiff Met.
Congrats
Congrats on the 3A*s!!! I would definitely reapply - as said above, the uni you go to matters a lot for law.
I wouldn’t go to Cardiff Met with 3 A* - take a year out and reapply to 5 top Unis

I defo would take a year out with those grades and for a competitive course like law - Congratulations !!

Gap year definitely. No disrespect to Cardiff Met but Russell group unis would be a lot better for career prospects. You could even try your shot at Oxbridge with those grades.

Did they get rid of adjustment this year?
(edited 1 year ago)
Well done on backing yourself and proving your teachers wrong.

I’d 100% reject my offer and re apply next year to 5 top unis.
As another user said, one year out is nothing at the end of the day.
Original post by Abrams1101
Gap year definitely. No disrespect to Cardiff Met but Russell group unis would be a lot better for career prospects. You could even try your shot at Oxbridge with those grades.

Did they get rid of adjustment this year?

Yes adjustment is no longer offered for whatever reason. Shame as there’s a few people this year who would have benefited.
Definitely a gap year and apply to Oxbridge (you need to get your application in September and possibly pick a less popular subject first not law to up your changes if Oxbridge is a goal for you), Durham, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick - places like that. In the gap year once all the time spent on oxbridge is over by Jan (if you try for that) then you could travel or get a job abroad from Feb to September or do all kinds of exciting things or even a law type job to enhance your job.
Original post by 17Student17
Definitely a gap year and apply to Oxbridge (you need to get your application in September and possibly pick a less popular subject first not law to up your changes if Oxbridge is a goal for you), Durham, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick - places like that. In the gap year once all the time spent on oxbridge is over by Jan (if you try for that) then you could travel or get a job abroad from Feb to September or do all kinds of exciting things or even a law type job to enhance your job.

Exeter and Warwick 🥱. Warwick isn’t even that good for law ffs.

@harrysbar this is what I mean.
I don't agree and also for all kinds of reasons Exeter and Warwick might be good such as people you would meet, the fact the peer group goes to high paid jobs, connections - vast amounts of reasons; even my son's friend went to Warwick rather than somewhere less mixed because of its proportion of BAME students being higher than some others. There is nothing wrong with Exeter and Warwick although I agree with you that I put them below Oxbridge, Durham and Bristol. They are also cheaper than London as London rents are very high.

A gap year is a good move. I’d apply to 4 ‘risky’ (i.e top) unis and have 1 less risky uni (i.e entry grades are AAA) as a back up just in case.

Well done on excelling in your A levels and enjoy your gap year, should you take it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Absolutely reapply, as @17Student17 said, the unis that they listed would absolutely be better than Cardiff Met for a law degree because they simply have better connections to top law firms. You’ll have little issue getting in with those grades and for law (and I’ve studying it myself) unis are very very important to make you stand out.
I am the opposite and now I have no life.
Gap + reapply.

well done!! how did you revise? i want to do law too but struggle to get the grades
Original post by 17Student17
I don't agree and also for all kinds of reasons Exeter and Warwick might be good such as people you would meet, the fact the peer group goes to high paid jobs, connections - vast amounts of reasons; even my son's friend went to Warwick rather than somewhere less mixed because of its proportion of BAME students being higher than some others. There is nothing wrong with Exeter and Warwick although I agree with you that I put them below Oxbridge, Durham and Bristol. They are also cheaper than London as London rents are very high.

Someone who says “Warwick isn’t even that good for law” there is no point trying to explain to give them an understanding to why its a strong uni, yes it may be known for economics but at the end of the day its a top 10 uni most of its graduates end up at a top law firm.Exeter on the other hand is not near the level of Warwick nor Bristol and Durham but is still a respected uni with strong graduate prospects.I pretty sure both have high levels of student satisfaction as well
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest