The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get a good grade in a level geography when I don’t like essays

So I’ve looked thru geo past papers for a level and it’s essay based, the 20 markers put me off, I’m doing maths physics and geography in sept but I didn’t do geo gcse but it’s supposed to be useful for a civil engineering degree. How hard is it to get an A, coz I don’t want to do it if I’m gonna get a D coz I don’t like essays and my mind goes blank in exams
Hi,

As someone who has just got an A in geography today, I would say that the course is pretty dependent on essay writing. Even the 6 and 9 markers require quite extensive answers, and the 20 markers themselves add up to 50% of the total marks. I personally did not find the 20 mark questions to be particularly difficult as my teachers had provided plenty of guidance. However, I may have the advantage of being an essay-based student with History and English Literature being my other two subjects.

But if you feel like you won't be able to cope with this I would recommend taking a different A-level.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anna_Pope04
Hi,

As someone who has just got an A in geography today, I would say that the course is pretty dependent on essay writing. Even the 6 and 9 markers require quite extensive answers, and the 20 markers themselves add up to 50% of the total marks. I personally did not find the 20 mark questions to be particularly difficult as my teachers had provided plenty of guidance. However, I may have the advantage of being an essay-based student with History and English Literature being my other two subjects.

But if you feel like you won't be able to cope with this I would recommend taking a different A-level.

What did u get at geography gcse ?
Original post by Niamh166
What did u get at geography gcse ?

I got an 8
the 20 markers look scary now, once you have the topic case study and revision around the topic theyre quite fun
basically arguing with yourself for 30 minutes in an exam, i had the same feeling but it's fine tbh when you know some facts
if it is really daunting maybe look into another subject but i think youll be fine
Great news, you don't have to like essays to be able to write a good one. Plenty of practical advice about writing good essays for free on the Internet, and also you'll do mocks and you can take feedback from your teachers.
Reply 6
Original post by Niamh166
So I’ve looked thru geo past papers for a level and it’s essay based, the 20 markers put me off, I’m doing maths physics and geography in sept but I didn’t do geo gcse but it’s supposed to be useful for a civil engineering degree. How hard is it to get an A, coz I don’t want to do it if I’m gonna get a D coz I don’t like essays and my mind goes blank in exams

Perhaps I'm biased but I've always had good grades for geography. I had an A* at GCSE and have just gotten A in my AS Level and according to the mark scheme I had full marks (100%) but I'm not really sure, either way, I got well above the A boundary. Generally, I find geography no harder than it was at GCSE if not easier. I think it's pretty easy to get an A and compared to other subjects I would say it's a lot easier. I don't like writing essays either that much but when the essay solely relies on you regurgitating facts that you don't really even have to elaborate on it's pretty simple. I think you'll be fine, don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest