FOR ALL THOSE ON SELF HARM FORUMS!!! *important* Watch

This discussion is closed.
shootingstar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
Yes, they'll visit it, and I'll guarantee there is more than one person enticing people to self-harm, and though the large majority won't, there are people who will. People who will not know better, and people who will decide it is the right thing as a means of coping, especially if there are others doing the same thing. This will be because of you!
the majority of the forums listed above take severe action against any talk of self harm which deems it as good, or a suitable coping mechanism.

And down to ME? me? on my own?
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shootingstar)
the majority of the forums listed above take severe action against any talk of self harm which deems it as good, or a suitable coping mechanism.
Can they moniter PM's? Can they moniter emails? Can they moniter MSN/AIM/Yahoo Messenger etc chat? No, I think not!

And down to ME? me? on my own?
Yes, you have raised the profile of the named self-harm forums, on a student forum with over 20,000 members. Therefore you are the source.
HistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Give shootingstar a break - she was only trying to help, after all!
MC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by HistoryStudent)
I'm sure the sentiments are appreciated, the actions not.
shootingstar
Rep:
?
Can they moniter PM's? Can they moniter emails? Can they moniter MSN/AIM/Yahoo Messenger etc chat? No, I think not!

Yes, you have raised the profile of the named self-harm forums, on a student forum with over 20,000 members. Therefore you are the source.
gah... you make me mad...
shootingstar
Rep:
?
(Original post by HistoryStudent)
thank you... nice to see someone sees what I was trying to do...
MC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
gah... you make me mad...
*restrains from commanding shootingstar to do something which is very funny, but highly insensitive*
shootingstar
Rep:
?
*restrains from commanding shootingstar to do something which is very funny, but highly insensitive*
well, considering I don't cut or burn, then what? heh? well?
grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you never cease to amuse me
MC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by grace)
you never cease to amuse me
Hehe. :hello:
Lauren Hart
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
After the controversy caused by the recent thread based about a internet predator from the self harm forums, i really do feel that i need to have my say on this! the response from our peers on this site to an issue that effects so many is digusting frankly. I know many people who you could describe as "self harmers" and the reason they dont come forward to say they have a problem is because of people like you. Sites such as RYL are there as a support basis for people who dont know where else to turn, and it offers the chance to realise that they arent the only ones who suffer with a certain problem.

we all have issues that we deal with in our own ways, some people drive their cars fast and some people get angry and hit people, then there are some people drink, starve themselves, cut themselves whatever. Its a way of releasing a problem, its not sensible, but neither is driving 100 mph on a 30 road. then again, who thinks of being sensible when you're angry.

Those of you who have your objections to RYL and other support communities might want to take the time to think about what they offer to people who have problems. No one on these sights enjoy being so depressed they do what they do, and too many of them have forgotten how to be happy. Things that trigger this tend to be as horrific or worse than the actual harm they do, six year old girls being raped for example. Tends to leave behind some damage.

Oh, and for the record, RYL stands for RECOVER you life - kinda says it all

Lauren
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads