The Student Room Group

Zoology courses vs entry requirements??

Hi guys
I'm currently looking to apply for uni starting in 2023 and so far have a couple of courses I like and some I need to look into. My favourite so far for course content has been Swansea which really stuck out and has an entry requirement of ABB-BBB. However I'm currently being predicted AAA, would it be worth firming other unis with higher entry requirements I'm looking to apply to sush as Cardiff and Southampton due to them being more prestigious and Russel groups giving them higher 'worth'?
Would appreciate any advice!!:smile:
Thanks xx
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chloeistrying
Hi guys
I'm currently looking to apply for uni starting in 2023 and so far have a couple of courses I like and some I need to look into. My favourite so far for course content has been Swansea which really stuck out and has an entry requirement of ABB-BBB. However I'm currently being predicted AAA, would it be worth firming other unis with higher entry requirements I'm looking to apply to sush as Cardiff and Southampton due to them being more prestigious and Russel groups giving them higher 'worth'?
Thanks xx

Hi Chloeistrying,

Congrats on your current prediction and good luck for next year!!

In terms of entry requirements, a higher requirement doesn't necessarily mean the university is better or more 'worthy'. I would advise doing a good search of the universities you are interested in, checking out the campus (would you like to live there? can you see yourself studying their? etc.) and the course content (is it what you want, will you enjoy it?etc.), rather than focusing on how prestigious a university is. As you say, the course content at Swansea has really stuck out to you so, if you also like the campus and city, why not apply there?

If you're wanting to look up North as well, here at UCLan we do offer a Zoology course with our partner college Myerscough (but the degree is awarded by UCLan). You can check the course content here https://www.ucmyerscough.ac.uk/courses/animal-studies/bsc-hons-zoology/.

Hope this helps and best of luck,

Chelsea :smile:
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi Chloeistrying,

Congrats on your current prediction and good luck for next year!!

In terms of entry requirements, a higher requirement doesn't necessarily mean the university is better or more 'worthy'. I would advise doing a good search of the universities you are interested in, checking out the campus (would you like to live there? can you see yourself studying their? etc.) and the course content (is it what you want, will you enjoy it?etc.), rather than focusing on how prestigious a university is. As you say, the course content at Swansea has really stuck out to you so, if you also like the campus and city, why not apply there?

If you're wanting to look up North as well, here at UCLan we do offer a Zoology course with our partner college Myerscough (but the degree is awarded by UCLan). You can check the course content here https://www.ucmyerscough.ac.uk/courses/animal-studies/bsc-hons-zoology/.

Hope this helps and best of luck,

Chelsea :smile:

Hi Chelsea
Thank you so much! I've visited both Cardiff and Swansea and can say I preferred Swansea with both campus and course so I'm currently thinking of making it my firm.

Thank you for the advice and I'll definitely check out your course as well!
Hi guys
Thanks xx

Hi @Chloeistrying!

Happy to hear that you are thinking about Zoology 😊!

I did my BSc in Zoology at the University of Southampton. The fact that my university belongs to the Russell Group was important to me as I wanted to do a very research-oriented degree, but I agree with Chelsea there are many factors that make your course “worthy”.

I turned out to have very helpful, passionate lecturers and a supportive environment, which made my academic journey a great experience. This motivated me to apply for the master’s and helped sustain my interests.

While choosing the right university, I always recommend checking out the detailed structure of the course. Are there any specific topics you are greatly interested in? Who are your future lecturers? What are their research areas?

Another aspect is how you feel about living in a given place. Considering the fact that you will spend there the next three years or so, it would be good to live in the city you like. It’s also quite important to simply feel embraced by your future community. Because of that, it may be worth looking at the events and initiatives organised by a student union.

However, you already considered many of those aspects, which is great!

In case you would also like to check out Zoology at the University of Southampton, I am leaving the link here 😊.

Wish you all the best in the future,
Agnes Student Ambassador
Hi Chelsea
Thank you so much! I've visited both Cardiff and Swansea and can say I preferred Swansea with both campus and course so I'm currently thinking of making it my firm.

Thank you for the advice and I'll definitely check out your course as well!

Hi,

Glad to hear you’ve come to a decision! And no problem - happy to help 🤗

All the best,

Chelsea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending