The Student Room Group

choosing alevels

do you think choosing history, biology and psychology is a good idea? i'm not sure if i want to do law or medicine in the future and that's why i'm sort of having trouble deciding what to choose
if u want medicine it's more likely they'll want chem rather than bio
Original post by greensmith
if u want medicine it's more likely they'll want chem rather than bio

but don't u need bio as well to do medicine?
Original post by chocolatesyrup
but don't u need bio as well to do medicine?

u gotta check the entry requirements for the unis ur interested in because they're all different but most of them require chem (compulsory) and recommend bio (optional)
Reply 4
do you think choosing history, biology and psychology is a good idea? i'm not sure if i want to do law or medicine in the future and that's why i'm sort of having trouble deciding what to choose

Hi! I would recommend taking biology and chemistry together if you might be interested in Medicine as universities usually ask for both. As for law, I do not believe you actually need any specific A Levels to study it (just good grades) but even so, if you're potentially interested in pursuing law I would urge you to take it at A Level. Biology, Chemistry, and Law seem like your best options!

As others have said, choosing chem and bio will give you the most options in terms of medicine but there are plenty of medical schools that will just accept bio or bio + psych (you can check here:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422), and for law there are no specific subject requirements. Law and medicine are two very different careers, so maybe doing some research or work experience in each might help you to decide between them. Often I see people picking those two careers just because they're well-respected and can lead to well-paid jobs, but you do need to make sure that the career path you choose is A) something you're genuinely interested in and would enjoy and B) achievable for you. Both require high grades, so whatever subjects you choose, you will need to be capable of achieving at least AAA for medicine and probably BBB-AAA (depending on where you apply) for law. History, bio and psych will keep both options reasonably open, and I wouldn't recommend taking chemistry just to keep more medical school options open if you don't enjoy it and don't think you can achieve an A in it. You might want to do some more thinking to narrow down a career path, but also you're only 16 (I assume) so if you're still not sure what you want to do, the A levels you mentioned seem like a good combo to keep options open, especially if you enjoy those subjects and are good at them.

If you want to leave the window to do medicine open, I’d maybe suggest swapping out Psychology with Chemistry! I actually did Psychology A-Level (I got my results on the 18th so I’m straight out of A-Levels lol) and it’s a great subject, you can very easily achieve a great grade if you absolutely nail the content from an early stage. I got a B and gave it way less attention than my other A-Levels, but it’s definitely extremely hard! Bio + chem are also super difficult, and I’ve heard history is too, but the combination of Bio + Psych + History is extremely knowledge heavy. It sounds like a great combo to me, but if you want to do medicine maybe just swap out psych with chem!
Original post by bea_murray0
As others have said, choosing chem and bio will give you the most options in terms of medicine but there are plenty of medical schools that will just accept bio or bio + psych (you can check here:https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422), and for law there are no specific subject requirements. Law and medicine are two very different careers, so maybe doing some research or work experience in each might help you to decide between them. Often I see people picking those two careers just because they're well-respected and can lead to well-paid jobs, but you do need to make sure that the career path you choose is A) something you're genuinely interested in and would enjoy and B) achievable for you. Both require high grades, so whatever subjects you choose, you will need to be capable of achieving at least AAA for medicine and probably BBB-AAA (depending on where you apply) for law. History, bio and psych will keep both options reasonably open, and I wouldn't recommend taking chemistry just to keep more medical school options open if you don't enjoy it and don't think you can achieve an A in it. You might want to do some more thinking to narrow down a career path, but also you're only 16 (I assume) so if you're still not sure what you want to do, the A levels you mentioned seem like a good combo to keep options open, especially if you enjoy those subjects and are good at them.

it's just that i'm not sure about chemistry since i wouldn't say that i'm good enough to do alevel for it. about the law and medicine part, at the moment, i genuinely have no idea what i want to do in uni or later in life so that's really making it complicated for me.

As for this combination (psych + history + bio), i'm sort of hesistant for this because it's very content heavy and all of them are not necessarily on the laid back side either. I think at this point i might end up deciding what alevels to do right before i have to confirm them😭
it's just that i'm not sure about chemistry since i wouldn't say that i'm good enough to do alevel for it. about the law and medicine part, at the moment, i genuinely have no idea what i want to do in uni or later in life so that's really making it complicated for me.

As for this combination (psych + history + bio), i'm sort of hesistant for this because it's very content heavy and all of them are not necessarily on the laid back side either. I think at this point i might end up deciding what alevels to do right before i have to confirm them😭

As I said, if you don’t like chemistry or don’t think you’ll do well at A level, it’s not worth taking it! If you have genuinely no idea at all what you want to do I think you really do need to try and narrow it down a bit before choosing your A levels. I can tell you what subjects you need for which degree/career by if you don’t know what degree/career you want to do then I won’t be of much help! I would start with what your interested in and what you’re good at, maybe you could be a scientist if some description? Clinical or forensic psychologist? Anthropologist? Barrister? It’s completely ok to not know what you want to do, but T here are lots of careers out there to explore, and if you have a particular career or sector in mind, it might make your A level choices easier. If you still really can’t decide, then pick the A levels you’re interested in and will do well in (sounds like that would be history, psych and bio), if you enjoy the subjects the content won’t seem too bad. Remember there aren’t really any ‘easy’ A levels, and all have a lot of content, but it does feel a lot easier when you’re genuinely interested in the content.

Heya!
For Medicine, they would usually want at least chem and bio together (though do check the entry requirements as they do vary). If you aren't interested in chem then perhaps reconsider your medicine option or see if there are any that accept bio and chem.

For law there aren't any specific requirements though it would help if you took essay-based a-levels :smile: I guess a history is a good option for it, I heard people usually take English literature for it (though not sure, haven't done law myself!). If you need help deciding then do check out prospects and take the quiz! Research the two fields and see which one appeals to you more.
Also as a side note, if you need any resources for bio, then study mind also tons of free past papers for bio!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

I’m quite literally in the same predicament as you OP as I’m interested in both medicine and law and I have seen on atleast 10 university websites that you can get an offer for medicine without chemistry and biology together. Rather most would accept if you did bio and maths or bio and psych however it will narrow your options to apply. History is a great a level for law it is seen as one of the strong essay based subjects along with English literature, so having one of those will be superb and the versatility of having a science along side is great. I would recommend maths if you fancy a break from the content heavy essays although maths is definitely not easy from what I’ve heard

Quick Reply

Latest