The Student Room Group

What GCSE's for a paleontologist?

I am picking GCSE's kind of soon but i wanted to know ahead of time what one I intend to do, I am going to do Maths, English, RS (compulsory), and i was wondering what others? Obviously science but apart from biology and geology i don't know. Also should i do History or Geography or both? Idk if this will go towards my chance of getting into Uni so i wanted to pick right ones.
Original post by Fossilsmudge
I am picking GCSE's kind of soon but i wanted to know ahead of time what one I intend to do, I am going to do Maths, English, RS (compulsory), and i was wondering what others? Obviously science but apart from biology and geology i don't know. Also should i do History or Geography or both? Idk if this will go towards my chance of getting into Uni so i wanted to pick right ones.

Oh don't worry too much about GCSEs, A-levels matter most but I'd still like to help. I would recommend you take both history and geography for your career. And perhaps art would be helpful too? Maybe look into the course details.

Your GCSEs won't make much difference, take whatever you want. The main thing is you want to get the best scores in Maths and Science as possible so you can take A Level Maths, Biology, and Chemistry.
Original post by jules14916
Oh don't worry too much about GCSEs, A-levels matter most but I'd still like to help. I would recommend you take both history and geography for your career. And perhaps art would be helpful too? Maybe look into the course details.

ok, although unsure if u have to pick one or another, history or geography, i am told people have had to (not at my school) choose one or another so if i had to choose between History and Geography which would be most important for a palaeontology?
ok, although unsure if u have to pick one or another, history or geography, i am told people have had to (not at my school) choose one or another so if i had to choose between History and Geography which would be most important for a palaeontology?

Obviously Geography, History has absolutely zero relevance to Palaeontology!

Your best bet is to look at any A level requirements for courses you may be interested in, and see what GCSEs will get you there (if your potential sixth forms have any grade/subject requirements to choose certain options).

If you look at unis offering palaeontology-related degrees, geography seems to be a common A level you can use to meet subject requirements, whereas history isn't. Some examples:

Bristol Palaeontology and Evolution BSc:

Spoiler

Leicester Geology with Palaeontology BSc:

Spoiler

Plymouth Palaeontology BSc:

Spoiler

Birmingham Palaeontology and Geology BSc:

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Interea
Your best bet is to look at any A level requirements for courses you may be interested in, and see what GCSEs will get you there (if your potential sixth forms have any grade/subject requirements to choose certain options).

If you look at unis offering palaeontology-related degrees, geography seems to be a common A level you can use to meet subject requirements, whereas history isn't. Some examples:

Bristol Palaeontology and Evolution BSc:

Spoiler

Leicester Geology with Palaeontology BSc:

Spoiler

Plymouth Palaeontology BSc:

Spoiler

Birmingham Palaeontology and Geology BSc:

Spoiler

Ah thank you, I intend to try to get to Portsmouth so i expect it will be the same as the others. Thank you for the help!
Original post by Plagioclase
Obviously Geography, History has absolutely zero relevance to Palaeontology!

I thought so, just had seen people say to do it for GCSE's so wanted to check.

Quick Reply