The Student Room Group

what is the most important thing in year 10?

hi i have just finished year 9 going into year 10 and i wanted to ask what are the most important things and how to be organised! i want to be a doctor or somewhere around the healthcare profession.
Original post by marzshake
hi i have just finished year 9 going into year 10 and i wanted to ask what are the most important things and how to be organised! i want to be a doctor or somewhere around the healthcare profession.

Hey!
I've just finished Year 10 and going into Year 11, so I hope to be of some help.
Firstly, I would say enjoy your Year 9 summer. Year 10 summer is also quite relaxed as long as you make sure to put in the effort in September instead. Make sure you take your topic tests seriously, revise for them and really understand what you're being taught. It'll also help to go through your notes from time to time to make sure you keep on top of things. I didn't do this and really regret it, so I hope this will make life easier for you. Get into the habit of asking your teachers questions outside of lesson time as well as keeping your notes organised by topic and subject.
Importantly - keep any tests you do and understand WHY you went wrong. This will be the most rewarding thing that you do, because you'll learn to not make that same mistake again. It'll stick in your head for longer.
And finally, don't revise last minute. Set aside perhaps 30-45 minutes every day (don't study for hours as you'll burn out) to just go through topics or stuff you don't understand. Email your teachers for help! They're paid to make sure you do the very best in your exams as you can.

I hope you'll benefit from what I've just written. Don't compare yourself to other people and their grades, as everyone works at different paces and a lot of the time they're just memorising, not understanding, the content.

Take care.
Reply 2
as a year 11 going into sixth form, i absolutely second what @jules14916 has said, but i'll also make another point - enjoy the time you have left. don't worry about 12 hours of revision a week at this stage, it's genuinely not necessary until you get closer to mocks. year 10 will go so quickly and honestly just enjoy it, it'll be the last relatively non-stressful year of secondary school you'll have, and year 11 will go by so fast it'll feel like it never even happened. just enjoy it, go out on weekends, after school, whatever you want to do while you still have this time without the looming stress of exams.

Quick Reply

Latest