The Student Room Group

Once get an interview from Oxford does it mean your Alevel no longer matters

I mean, no longer matters that much (compared to written exam and interview)
If I get an average(lower) alevel but get invited(since most Classics applicants can get invited) and do well in the written exam will I still have chance?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 沈旧闻
I mean, no longer matters that much (compared to written exam and interview)
If I get an average(lower) alevel but get invited(since most Classics applicants can get invited) and do well in the written exam will I still have chance?

If would be a waste of everyone's time if they invited people for interview who stood no realistic chance of securing a place. So, yes, if you get an interview it'll mean they think you have a realistic chance. (As they say here, "Oxford typically receives over 22,000 applications for around 3,300 places every year and shortlists approximately 10,000 candidates. With so many more applications than places, it just isn’t possible to interview everyone. Tutors shortlist the candidates they feel have the strongest potential and meet their selection criteria best. Only those shortlisted are invited to interview." - my emphasis)

If your A levels are "average(lower)", and you still get invited to interview, then it's possible that you'd need to offset those A level grades by doing particularly well at other aspects of the selection process (e.g. at interview and in the Classics Admissions Test). From their own numbers, every place will have about the three shortlisted applicants - so even if you've been selected for interview, you're still completing with two other interviewees for each place. And your competition are likely to have a better A level grade profile.

However, having "average(lower)" A levels may well mean that you're not shortlisted (and hence interviewed) in the first place.
Original post by DataVenia
If would be a waste of everyone's time if they invited people for interview who stood no realistic chance of securing a place. So, yes, if you get an interview it'll mean they think you have a realistic chance. (As they say here, "Oxford typically receives over 22,000 applications for around 3,300 places every year and shortlists approximately 10,000 candidates. With so many more applications than places, it just isn’t possible to interview everyone. Tutors shortlist the candidates they feel have the strongest potential and meet their selection criteria best. Only those shortlisted are invited to interview." - my emphasis)

If your A levels are "average(lower)", and you still get invited to interview, then it's possible that you'd need to offset those A level grades by doing particularly well at other aspects of the selection process (e.g. at interview and in the Classics Admissions Test). From their own numbers, every place will have about the three shortlisted applicants - so even if you've been selected for interview, you're still completing with two other interviewees for each place. And your competition are likely to have a better A level grade profile.

However, having "average(lower)" A levels may well mean that you're not shortlisted (and hence interviewed) in the first place.

Thank you for response, but the data 97% Classics applicants get interviewed has couraged me lol
Original post by 沈旧闻
Thank you for response, but the data 97% Classics applicants get interviewed has couraged me lol

That an interesting take on the figure. It could also be argued that you can take almost no "comfort" from the fact that you've been shortlisted for Classics, given that vast majority are.

Having said that, the offer rate for Classics is also very high (46% for 2021 according to this), so all applicants for Classics stand a reasonable chance of an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest