The Student Room Group

Does M&S ask for references?

Hi,
I accepted a job offer from M&S for a Customer Assistant on Wednesday. Completed all the onboarding activities yesterday, and realised I wasn’t asked for any reference details. Is this something you get asked about during induction, or do I need to get in touch with them before I start?

Also does it take long to get an official start date usually? I have a date for being added to payroll, but this is before my 2 week notice period ends. I said at the interview I needed to give 2 weeks, and after I accepted the offer, they said about arranging a date to start after I’d handed my notice in.
I have since emailed saying what date I’m available from, but no response. Just stressing a little bit 😅 Thanks!
Hi!

It's actually really common for employers to not ask for reference details until after someone has started working with them. I wouldn't worry too much about it - it's probably just an oversight on their part.

As far as getting an official start date, it can sometimes take a little while for employers to get back to you. Just make sure to follow up with them periodically and you should hear back soon.
Reply 2
Hi, does anyone have an update on this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending