The Student Room Group

University

I’m starting uni in September what exactly should I be buying because I’ve heard a mixture of things people she said my things when you get to uni and other have said to buy beforehand, I’m also not sure about the amount of clothes I should bring or if I need pots and pans and all of that
Any help would be good please
Original post by Anonymous
I’m starting uni in September what exactly should I be buying because I’ve heard a mixture of things people she said my things when you get to uni and other have said to buy beforehand, I’m also not sure about the amount of clothes I should bring or if I need pots and pans and all of that

Which university are you going to? I would get in contact with them or have a look on their website for any checklists.

Will you be living on campus? If so, they should be able to tell you what there already is available. From that, you can judge what you can buy before you get there and then after you arrive.
Original post by KA_P
Which university are you going to? I would get in contact with them or have a look on their website for any checklists.

Will you be living on campus? If so, they should be able to tell you what there already is available. From that, you can judge what you can buy before you get there and then after you arrive.

Hey thank you for your reply and I’m going to the University of Salford and no I won’t be on Campus
Hey thank you for your reply and I’m going to the University of Salford and no I won’t be on Campus

Will it be private accomodation? I'd have a read through your contract to see if it says anything in there or get in contact with your landlord.

Hi there! :smile:

If you're living in private accommodation then I would recommend contacting your landlord/Agency or having a look through the contract as it should tell you whether the property is furnished or not. In most cases if your accommodation is student friendly then there should be some basic furniture/appliances but definitely double check this. Also depending on whether you are living alone or in shared accommodation may also depend on what you need to buy. When I lived in private accommodation my housemates and I made a rough list of everything we needed and then divided it up between us (such as pots and pans) so that no one was bringing 2 of every item. A lot of the items we already owned at home or decided to buy them together when we moved in. You can find a lot of uni checklists online so just pick and choose whatever you think you might need. I always say its better to just get the basic necessities first and then as term goes on you can work out what other additional items you might need.

In terms of clothes, it really depends on how long you are at uni and how often you will do your laundry. I had a friend who lived quite far away from uni so she decided to move in most of her clothes to save her having to make unnecessarily long trips. I live around 1hr 45 from uni so am able to visit home more often therefore i usually switch between my more 'summery' and 'wintery' clothes as the year goes on. Definitely bring comfortable clothing as you will probably find yourself wearing that a lot to study (but again that depends on you) and maybe some going out clothes if you think you'll be going out to any clubs/bars/restaurants.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Best of luck with moving to uni!

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Hey!

Firstly, best of luck with starting uni in September! I would definitely check with your uni before you buy anything as they should provide you with a list of things that are included and then you know you do not need to get those stuff. Once you know what you need to get I would recommend buying them before you move to uni as it just helped me feel more prepared and organised! Also, it was one less thing to do once I got down to uni!

Hope this helps,
Abby, University of Chichester, Student Rep First Year Ambassador

So excited for you heading off to Uni OP!

There are some fantastic responses already, and in addition to this I will shout out our Starting University help page over at Student Minds, which you can check out here. There are loads of practical tips on there and links to guides about what to take with you. :rave:

Best of luck with uni!
Lee
Student Minds

Hey @Anonymous,

Ahhh how exciting that you're joining us :smile: there's loads of great suggestions on here, but there's a fab (albeit quite old) article by our Students Union on what to bring too, which could be a good starting point: https://www.salfordstudents.com/articles/what-to-bring-to-university

All the best,

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep

I’d do it like this:

KITCHEN
Pots and pans (get down there)
Scales
A favourite mug
Spare mugs (get down there)
Plates (get down there)
Bowls get down there)
A dinner set
Washing up stuff
A measuring jug

BEDROOM
Sheets
Mattress liner (it’s optional but it helps)
Duvet
Pillow
Covers
Pictures from home
Posters

CLOTHING
2x pairs of shorts (if it’s hot or something.)
3x pairs of jeans
A comfortable pair of shoes (you will be walking a lot)
Lots of t shirts honestly more than you think you need
3x Hoodies and jumpers (you’ll probably acquire a few more while your there)
A warm jacket
Gloves and a Hat (if it gets cold)
Snow pants (if it snows)
A swimming costume (so useful you wouldn’t believe)
Gym stuff if you plan on going to the gym or something
Clubbing stuff
A suit or something for formal events like the freshers ball
Any specific gear for sports you want to do like skiing

BATHROOM
Shower gel
Shampoo
Any hair products you might want
Sponge
Scrubbing brush

UNIVERSITY
A laptop is an absolute must have and so useful
Pen / Pencil
Reporter pad (you won't need to take too many notes in lectures because most lectures and slides go up online now anyway.)
Highlighters

Bring a first aid kit any medciens you take things like imodium Cards Against Humanity and some beer or Haribo you can offer people to break the ice and you'll be fine enjoy uni.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest