The Student Room Group

how do I not get triggered in anorexia recovery

my sister barely eats anything and my parents say nothing to her but when I skip one meal it's the biggest problem

like she always skips breakfast, barely any lunch, loses her appetite for dinner and everyone just let's her get away w it

I keep getting so annoyed and pushy for everyone else to eat because my brain is just so competitive

I'm just so mad like I get so triggered by her. everytime I bring it up to her she's like at least I'm not losing weight like.

I just don't know how I get over it. I have a weigh in soon pls help
Original post by Anonymous
my sister barely eats anything and my parents say nothing to her but when I skip one meal it's the biggest problem

like she always skips breakfast, barely any lunch, loses her appetite for dinner and everyone just let's her get away w it

I keep getting so annoyed and pushy for everyone else to eat because my brain is just so competitive

I'm just so mad like I get so triggered by her. everytime I bring it up to her she's like at least I'm not losing weight like.

I just don't know how I get over it. I have a weigh in soon pls help

If your sister has a low appetite & small diet but is sufficient it’s fine, you can’t compare someone who has a diagnosed eating disorder to a different person.

presumably your parents are more focused on ensuring you establish healthy lifestyle & diet, and are going to be more focused on you in the circumstances & establishing healthy behaviour and can trust in the future when they are not monitoring you, you will keep this up.

if a non-alcoholic has a few drinks too many and makes themselves sick, everyone knows thats a poor behaviour but in isolation is not really an issue. If an alcoholic has 1 pint everyone notices as they know the damage that 1 drink can lead to.

Focus on yourself.
Original post by mnot
If your sister has a low appetite & small diet but is sufficient it’s fine, you can’t compare someone who has a diagnosed eating disorder to a different person.

presumably your parents are more focused on ensuring you establish healthy lifestyle & diet, and are going to be more focused on you in the circumstances & establishing healthy behaviour and can trust in the future when they are not monitoring you, you will keep this up.

if a non-alcoholic has a few drinks too many and makes themselves sick, everyone knows thats a poor behaviour but in isolation is not really an issue. If an alcoholic has 1 pint everyone notices as they know the damage that 1 drink can lead to.

Focus on yourself.

thanks. im trying to focus on myself but it just feels like im eating all the food in the house when she doesnt, i just feel selfish and greedy. i get so mad when she skips meals cuz my brain is like "if she can do it, so can u" so i just dont know how to get past that,
Original post by Anonymous
thanks. im trying to focus on myself but it just feels like im eating all the food in the house when she doesnt, i just feel selfish and greedy. i get so mad when she skips meals cuz my brain is like "if she can do it, so can u" so i just dont know how to get past that,

I think when you’re growing up it’s easy to pick small details in your siblings lives.

but honestly it won’t make you happy doing so, and won’t help you at all. Focus on what you need to do!
Original post by mnot
I think when you’re growing up it’s easy to pick small details in your siblings lives.

but honestly it won’t make you happy doing so, and won’t help you at all. Focus on what you need to do!

thank you sm, you're right. i think the reason i want her to eat is cuz my mom says that she undereats bc of me so i feel the need to fix her myself because it feels like my fault.

thanks for ur support
eating properly (not skipping meals, eating enough, having a good balanced diet etc.) = healthy

you (and everyone around you) want your body (and mind) to be as healthy as possible. you want to thrive in life, rather than just hanging on by the skin of your teeth

try to change the "competition" from eating as little as possible to eating as much as your body needs in order to live a healthy, happy and nourished life

and understand that different people have different needs; some people (especially if you're in anorexia recovery) need much more food than others. and that's ok. also some people may have their own issues, but that's not your problem their health shouldn't determine yours; you still want to be in the best health possible. and in this new "competition" to be as healthy as possible, you know that if person x (yourself or someone else) doesn't eat properly, they are putting their health at risk; someone else's actions do not affect your health. if you are looking after yourself but they are not, well that's their problem.

in these sorts of circumstances it is ok to be selfish. you are not being greedy, you are trying to heal and look after yourself. other people such as your parents also want you to get better, so will not mind if you eat "all the food in the house" if it means you can flourish

Spoiler

so keep eating your food your body will thank you for it :smile:
Original post by bl0bf1sh
eating properly (not skipping meals, eating enough, having a good balanced diet etc.) = healthy

you (and everyone around you) want your body (and mind) to be as healthy as possible. you want to thrive in life, rather than just hanging on by the skin of your teeth

try to change the "competition" from eating as little as possible to eating as much as your body needs in order to live a healthy, happy and nourished life

and understand that different people have different needs; some people (especially if you're in anorexia recovery) need much more food than others. and that's ok. also some people may have their own issues, but that's not your problem their health shouldn't determine yours; you still want to be in the best health possible. and in this new "competition" to be as healthy as possible, you know that if person x (yourself or someone else) doesn't eat properly, they are putting their health at risk; someone else's actions do not affect your health. if you are looking after yourself but they are not, well that's their problem.

in these sorts of circumstances it is ok to be selfish. you are not being greedy, you are trying to heal and look after yourself. other people such as your parents also want you to get better, so will not mind if you eat "all the food in the house" if it means you can flourish

Spoiler

so keep eating your food your body will thank you for it :smile:

i cannot thank you enough for this response. so sorry to hear that you went through the struggle as well, but glad to know that you are in a better place. if we dont look after ourselves, no one will. (:

wish you the best x

Quick Reply

Latest