The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Food

Hi,
Just confirmed my place and accommodation at Lancaster for October and am really excited. Wondered about thoughts regarding the Freedom card I have been offered - is it worth doing this so I can eat around campus? Or do most people self cater in first year? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Original post by TJ1604
Hi,
Just confirmed my place and accommodation at Lancaster for October and am really excited. Wondered about thoughts regarding the Freedom card I have been offered - is it worth doing this so I can eat around campus? Or do most people self cater in first year? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi @TJ1604!

Congratulations on confirming your place at Lancaster!

In my experience most students at Lancaster self-cater. However, there are a few students in catered accommodation and a few students who use a Freedom Card. You can eat around campus without a Freedom card but the card offers a good value deal if you plan on eating on campus frequently. There's lots of information on it here https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/eat/discounts/freedom/

It seems that you can get a 5 week option so you could always buy it for the first 5 weeks of term and then make a decision as to whether you like it or not. I have eaten at the outlets on campus a lot in the last few years and can say that the food is certainly very nice. Some of my favourites are Marketplace at County (which serves canteen style food - very nice, tastes like a homecooked meal and there's always a few options to choose from) , Fylde Bar (serves burgers, chicken nuggets, full English breakfast etc.) and Barker House Farm at Cartmel (Pub style with very nice pizzas).

Hope this helps!

- Tineke

congrats_LU.png
(edited 1 year ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for such a quick and helpful reply. It’s really good to know about the 5 week option and the choices of food available. The option has come up in the process of confirming my accommodation and college choice (I’ll be living in Fylde) so I think I’ll just confirm the accommodation and then maybe look at the 5 week option later.

Your advice is really appreciated!
Original post by TJ1604
Thanks for such a quick and helpful reply. It’s really good to know about the 5 week option and the choices of food available. The option has come up in the process of confirming my accommodation and college choice (I’ll be living in Fylde) so I think I’ll just confirm the accommodation and then maybe look at the 5 week option later.

Your advice is really appreciated!

Hi @TJ1604!

Sounds good! Welcome to Fylde college :smile: Just to clarify you can eat at other colleges' food outlets so you wouldn't be confined to Fylde bar. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

- Tineke

Quick Reply

Latest