The Student Room Group

Zoology and animal related clearing

I got my results A in biology A in English lit and C in chemistry. I wanted to do veterinary nursing because I think it would be a job that is rewarding and that I enjoy, but my parents are saying no because of the salary. They won’t let me apply for it.

I’m applying to zoology as it is animal related, and have many offers but the more I think about it even if I enjoy the course content, the jobs like a zookeeper (who does not earn that much) and a researcher/jobs in a lab (which I’m unsure about, as it is not a job directly working with animals) are not as appealing to me. Maybe because I’m not that informed on them and what exactly they do.

also have an offer for RVC’s animal biology welfare and ethics programme - which I think is a bit better.

I’m really confused on what to do now and have today to decide on these offers. I was looking at veterinary physiotherapist and the job I think I would like to do but most of the courses are postgraduate and my parents don’t want me to go into debt, and I don’t have to money to pay for it.

I would appreciate any help!
(edited 1 year ago)
Zoology isn’t a very animal focused course (despite the title - it’s essentially a standard biology degree but without plant science).

Have you looked into environmental science or conservation related courses? These are much more likely to lead to jobs with an animal focus than zoology.
Original post by studybug531
I got my results A in biology A in English lit and C in chemistry. I wanted to do veterinary nursing because I think it would be a job that is rewarding and that I enjoy, but my parents are saying no because of the salary. They won’t let me apply for it.

I’m applying to zoology as it is animal related, and have many offers but the more I think about it even if I enjoy the course content, the jobs like a zookeeper (who does not earn that much) and a researcher/jobs in a lab (which I’m unsure about, as it is not a job directly working with animals) are not as appealing to me. Maybe because I’m not that informed on them and what exactly they do.

also have an offer for RVC’s animal biology welfare and ethics programme - which I think is a bit better.

I’m really confused on what to do now and have today to decide on these offers. I was looking at veterinary physiotherapist and the job I think I would like to do but most of the courses are postgraduate and my parents don’t want me to go into debt, and I don’t have to money to pay for it.

I would appreciate any help!

the problem with zoology is that it’s quite hard to get a job after it as it’s a very saturated field. I’m a vet student and lots of zoology students are retraining as they can’t get jobs or they are working in unrelated fields
Original post by PQ
Zoology isn’t a very animal focused course (despite the title - it’s essentially a standard biology degree but without plant science).

Have you looked into environmental science or conservation related courses? These are much more likely to lead to jobs with an animal focus than zoology.

I’ve found ‘animal behaviour and conservation’ but it looks similar to zoology. https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/bsc-animal-behaviour-and-conservation
Original post by flamingolover
the problem with zoology is that it’s quite hard to get a job after it as it’s a very saturated field. I’m a vet student and lots of zoology students are retraining as they can’t get jobs or they are working in unrelated fields

do you have any idea of alternates I could go for at the moment? Do you think the RVC programme will be any different?
Original post by studybug531
do you have any idea of alternates I could go for at the moment? Do you think the RVC programme will be any different?

I don't think any zoology course would be different regardless of university. I know someone who moved to New Zealand to try to find work but has come back to the uk to train s a vet as she couldn't find any as a zoologist. Honestly, its your life and you know what would make you happy. If thats veterinary nursing then do it. Plus some fields do pay fairly well (e.g. equine nurses). If you make career decisions based on your parents you might end up in a career you really dont like. Having a rewarding career is really important. If you're looking for alternative careers my back up was always marine biology
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending