The Student Room Group

Engineering degree apprenticeship Help

Hi,

I want to apply to a engineering degree apprenticeship, but a realise that it's extremely competitive, I was looking at things employers look at when selecting apprentices, they mainly look for engineering related skills.

I've looked at most engineering degree apprenticeships entry requirements and they're around DDM-DDD. I'm not too worried about my grades as, I will get good grades, but I understand good grades alone is not enough to land a degree apprenticeship.

My plan is to take a gap year where I develop skills like CAD and programming to a level where I feel I'm confident to solve problems that employers might throw at me.

My question is , would a certificate for SOLIDWORKS (CAD) and a certificate in C++ (programming) be enough to slim down the competition or would I need more experience and skills?

All your replies are much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Original post by Killy2K
Hi,

I want to apply to a engineering degree apprenticeship, but a realise that it's extremely competitive, I was looking at things employers look at when selecting apprentices, they mainly look for engineering related skills.

I've looked at most engineering degree apprenticeships entry requirements and they're around DDM-DDD. I'm not too worried about my grades as, I will get good grades, but I understand good grades alone is not enough to land a degree apprenticeship.

My plan is to take a gap year where I develop skills like CAD and programming to a level where I feel I'm confident to solve problems that employers might throw at me.

My question is , would a certificate for SOLIDWORKS (CAD) and a certificate in C++ (programming) be enough to slim down the competition or would I need more experience and skills?

All your replies are much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Wow, slow down there. Degree apprenticeships are competitive but not to that extent. If you've got a qualification in engineering (or STEM) at level 3 and a bit of experience you'll be fine as long as you show interest and develop good interview skills. And yes C++ and CAD would be helpful but it's not needed.

I managed to get a great degree apprenticeship with a 90 credit BTEC diploma in engineering. I only had experience from college but made sure my interview skills were top notch, researched the hell out of the companies, showed interest etc. And it wasn't a pity hire either. I actually got offers from multiple companies and picked the one I liked the most.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending