The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St andrews help

Hi, I live in London I just got my offer from the Uni of St Andrews yesterday. Believe it or not I had no idea i had to apply for accom at my insurance (i was going through a lot jan-may it was the least of my concerns considering i didnt think i would get in). The accom lady told me that i had to have applied for accom june 30th and that there is nothing. I dont know what to do because i have no where to live and my start date is in 15 days. I'm really really really panicking that i wont be able to find somewhere to live there and will have to decline my offer i worked so bloody hard for it
Reply 1
Original post by hss_2004
Hi, I live in London I just got my offer from the Uni of St Andrews yesterday. Believe it or not I had no idea i had to apply for accom at my insurance (i was going through a lot jan-may it was the least of my concerns considering i didnt think i would get in). The accom lady told me that i had to have applied for accom june 30th and that there is nothing. I dont know what to do because i have no where to live and my start date is in 15 days. I'm really really really panicking that i wont be able to find somewhere to live there and will have to decline my offer i worked so bloody hard for it

What did the accommodation people advise? I would have thought you should still put an application in now, in case something becomes available. There is a real shortage of housing in St Andrews just now and a lot of students looking for accommodation. The best advice (after putting in you application for uni accommodation) is to look for private flats in Dundee. It's not ideal but it is only a 30 min bus ride away. St Andrews are looking to house students there because of the shortage of capacity in St Andrews and are going to provide extra services like night buses. Flats in Dundee are a lot cheaper than St Andrews and you might be able to find private student residences.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by S1098
What did the accommodation people advise? I would have thought you should still put an application in now, in case something becomes available. There is a real shortage of housing in St Andrews just now and a lot of students looking for accommodation. The best advice (after putting in you application for uni accommodation) is to look for private flats in Dundee. It's not ideal but it is only a 30 min bus ride away. St Andrews are looking to house students there because of the shortage of capacity in St Andrews and are going to provide extra services like night buses. Flats in Dundee are a lot cheaper than St Andrews and you might be able to find private student residences.

So, the accom person got me to create an accom application which i filled out last night and she said she'll try her best to find me something although she isn't sure I will. My dad is also helping me find accom and he also said my best bet is dundee. I am able to drive and do have a car so the distance will be fine considering I travelled 45 mins by car everyday to sixth form. My only concern is that I wont make any friends if I'm not in accomodation and wont get the uni experience :/ Otherwise I have no issue with private accom
I would start by contacting the university directly and explain your situation to see if they can help. If the accommodation team were no good then maybe try other support staff there. Failing that I would do a general search of student accommodation in that area and see which rooms are available to privately hire. There are plenty of companies that make flats and rooms essentially just for students in second or third year so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something. Good luck and congrats on getting in!
Original post by Jared.S-G
I would start by contacting the university directly and explain your situation to see if they can help. If the accommodation team were no good then maybe try other support staff there. Failing that I would do a general search of student accommodation in that area and see which rooms are available to privately hire. There are plenty of companies that make flats and rooms essentially just for students in second or third year so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something. Good luck and congrats on getting in!

Absolute nonsense. There is a massive shortage of housing in St Andrews. It isn't a case of contacting a company and finding something. The truth is they will have trouble finding something.

Their best bet is to find something in Dundee.
Original post by hss_2004
So, the accom person got me to create an accom application which i filled out last night and she said she'll try her best to find me something although she isn't sure I will. My dad is also helping me find accom and he also said my best bet is dundee. I am able to drive and do have a car so the distance will be fine considering I travelled 45 mins by car everyday to sixth form. My only concern is that I wont make any friends if I'm not in accomodation and wont get the uni experience :/ Otherwise I have no issue with private accom

What about asking if you can defer and they will keep your place?
Reply 6
Original post by Angiogram1
What about asking if you can defer and they will keep your place?

I will ask if I don't hear back from anyone

Quick Reply