The Student Room Group

A level Help

Hey guys!

I was hoping to take Biology, Chemistry and English Literature but having some time in the holiday to think about I dont know if I should do Lit.

Just recently my mum was saying that it might be too much for me as I will be doing volunteering at a hospital (hopefully by the start of y12) and there will be a lot of reading and so on. I'm hoping to get a job as well.

Thing is I wanted to do Lit because it would get to read more a year or 2 ago I loved reading (I would read while going up stairs to my next class) but after a 1 particular book I just stopped. Currently I've picked it up again, reading 2 books at the moment. And I thought that it would really help when I needed to do my personal statement for Uni and other important pieces of writing.

But I cant stop feeling some other subject would be a better choice, if the school I want to go to offered business I would pick that but it doesn't so I'm left with Economics, Psychology and Sociology.

Any advice/ opinions are welcomed.

Thank you! :smile:
I never did english A level so can't tell you what it's like but I did psychology and sociology so I may be able to give you a bit about what they're like so you can see if you think you'd prefer them over english?
So which one did you prefer and why?
I've heard that sociology is easier, is that true?
How many marks are the essays?
Thank you!
I really enjoyed both but I'd say as a whole I personally preferred sociology a tiny bit more as I wasn't a massive fan of the biopsychology chapter in psychology, although it was only a small part of the content, whereas I liked every chapter in sociology
I did usually have higher marks in sociology but I'd say which you find easier depends on whether you prefer a slightly more scientific topic with structured essays or longer essays where you have more freedom over how you write them (the amount of content in each is about the same and were just as straightforward to understand apart from a few small topics) so overall I wouldn't say sociology or psychology is objectively easier than the other
Psychology marks range from 1 mark MCQs to 8 and 16 mark essays whereas sociology ranges from 4 mark saqs, to 20 and 30 mark essays
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions you have
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi @AnimalLoverSimba!

I actually did English Language A-Level as my fourth choice before I dropped it so I can give a bit of insight onto that. Personally, I think that just loving reading isn't enough to make this choice an enjoyable one, you really have to love the subject too and all the analysis and academic side that comes with it. This is actually the reason I dropped it - I found that having to do all that and then articulate it into an essay meant I couldn't enjoy actually reading it, but for other people this is the opposite. You should consider this when making your choice.

I also did Psychology and really enjoyed it - I can't recall the exact mark distributions but for AQA the highest essay was 20 marks I believe. I don't think that Sociology is necessarily easier than Psychology, but I do think that it can potentially come easier to some people (but they are both different subjects and I would think it is worht looking up the specifications and speaking to your school about which to choose).

All three of your other options would work for business - economics may be the most related if you want to go into it, but if you don't have an interest in this side of business then the other two will actually also be useful for learning about how people work.

I hope this helps you!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Thank you very much!
But I really don't know what to pick, I just don't know what to do tbh.
If I think of any other questions can I message you again, please?
Original post by AnimalLoverSimba
Thank you very much!

Of course!

I would really recommend talking to your sixth from/college though as they may be able to advise you one what they think may suit you better.

Best wishes

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by AnimalLoverSimba
Thank you very much!

You can also message me any questions at any point

Quick Reply

Latest