The Student Room Group

Is my EPQ title ok?

Hi! Quick one, is my EPQ title too broad?

Is the philosophy of religion still important in the 21st century?

Thanks x
It's rlly good and tbh u could go with it but if u wanted to make it a lil bit less broad why don't u focus on a particular area in philosophy or a certain religion or a certain type of people (ie atheists, fundamentalists etc)
Original post by liamjones23

Thanks x

Hi! Very interesting title

It may be worth considering making it less broad, because that is a very large topic to fit in 5000 words!

For example: Religion - Which religions? Any particular philosophies within religion?

You could use a mind map to develop this

Remember to put any development you do in your logbook!!
Amending your title in the light of some research is actually quite a good way to gain marks, so start with this and then refine it if you need to, documenting your journey in your activity log.
thanks everyone !!

Original post by EmilyS09405
Hi! Very interesting title

It may be worth considering making it less broad, because that is a very large topic to fit in 5000 words!

For example: Religion - Which religions? Any particular philosophies within religion?

You could use a mind map to develop this

Remember to put any development you do in your logbook!!

do you think focussing on, for example, eastern religions would be broad enough?
thank you btw for all your advice! <3
thanks everyone !!

do you think focussing on, for example, eastern religions would be broad enough?
thank you btw for all your advice! <3

There are quite a large amount of Eastern Religions, maybe try and focus in on a couple

Which ones will be the easiest to focus on will be revealed as you do more research into the topic, if there is not much research or info on one religion, it is probably not a great option, if there is absolutely tons, you may need to zone in even more

Let the research guide what you to especially at the very beginning of your EPQ!

No Problem :smile:
Reply 6

Thanks x

Hi, I'd probably narrow your research down to a date-range and structure your question a bit like this:
Is the study of philosophy of religion from the 18th to the 19th centuries still important in the 21st century?

Of course your title should be what you want it to be, but this is simply a suggestion. Hope this helps!
(edited 1 year ago)
Do you think specific religious would be narrow enough? x
eg: Is the philosophy of islam and hinduism still important in the 21st century?

xx
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
eg: Is the philosophy of islam and hinduism still important in the 21st century?

xx

In my opinion, and from my experience with deciding what title to have for my EPQ, narrowing it down gains you a lot more marks because you can be marked down for being biased in a way - better to go with one religion and then find a ton of sources for both sides of your argument :smile: Remember, even though there isn't a word limit (not too sure actually), writing too much might be more harmful than you think!
Reply 9

xx

Hey! Try to make your EPQ title as specific as possible - ask yourself if you can come to a measurable (as much as possible) conclusion to your question within 5000 words. The more specific your question is, the easier it is to synthesise your argument and come to a solid final judgement.

Alsoooo I noticed that you wanted to compare Eastern religions, but also mentioned comparing Islam and Hinduism - Islam is classified as a Western religion so that title might not work :frown:

I'd recommend just focussing on one religion too, if possible - will make your research much easier!
Bit broad really. You might want to focus on e.g. a specific issue/area of the philosophy of religion, or a specific philosopher/text.

That said you seem to be conflating "philosophy of religion" with "religious beliefs". The philosophy of religion is general and abstract, and not specific to an individual religion - it's philosophy about religion, as I understand it?

If you want to write about the (philosophical) beliefs of particular religions, then just be aware searching for sources on "the philosophy of religion" may not give you what you are looking for!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by .N.A.
Hey! Try to make your EPQ title as specific as possible - ask yourself if you can come to a measurable (as much as possible) conclusion to your question within 5000 words. The more specific your question is, the easier it is to synthesise your argument and come to a solid final judgement.

Alsoooo I noticed that you wanted to compare Eastern religions, but also mentioned comparing Islam and Hinduism - Islam is classified as a Western religion so that title might not work :frown:

I'd recommend just focussing on one religion too, if possible - will make your research much easier!

To be fair calling "Islam" a Western religion isn't a great definition, since it's widespread in South Asia and the Asia Pacific region. In both geographical and cultural contexts Islam would not generally be considered exclusively (or at all) "Western". Given the large number of both Hindus and Muslims in South Asia and the political conflicts between them, comparing the two may well be topical in any case :smile:

But I agree with your main point that it's key to be specific and precise, so they can go into as much depth as possible and develop real analysis instead of merely a superficial summary of things!
okay! yeah i said western previously but have discovered an interest an eastern - i never confused the two i just changed my mind during research

thanks all x

Quick Reply