The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It sounds genuinely fun.

Also, I cant wait for more privileged white male posters to remind us that ethnic minorities can be racist too.
Ahh so true. But that was just their generation I suppose.
My nan is part of the Daily Mail reading generation that believes looking at a ethnic originated person will get you mugged.
My grandad however is from Kenya himself although he's white n his family were landowners back there, he keeps in touch with the family of the people who worked at my great-grandparents house, NB to save myself a lot of PC backlash they weren't slaves they worked on the farm and lived on site, in 1920s they were treated as family, so he's down with them.
Reply 22
My grandparents are a bit racist. I think mostly they don't really mean to be, they just don't realise how offensive it is to refer to black people as 'gollywogs' and stuff. I don't hold it against them or anything... it doesn't really surprise me since they grew up farming in Lincolnshire (which is, at present, 98.5% white - and 99% white in our particular area).

I just find it amusing really.
My grandparents are a bit racist daily maily, even though they have mixed race grandchildren. What they hate more than other races however, is lesbians, you should hear them go on about this woman up the road, who might not be a lesbian but has cropped hair and is fat.
All my gran parents are racist, we were talking about it last christmas lol about how its to do with the generation gap, and me my brother and cousins have different race friends who we love but our gran parents were bought up in an age where racism was rife.
Reply 25
Now and then my gran does the whole: "Look there's a black man carrying a crate of...". Or, "he's as black as night!" or, "black people are very good judges or character".

And she told her friend and neighbour how black she looked on her white leather sofa *cringe*

But she's really not a racist, her best friends are all sorts of people, black, gay, young, old. And her family hid Jews in Germany during WW2 :yep:
My uncle is the same, it really irratates me.

You need to have a good old fashioned square off with them (preferably at some point away from any big family event) about their rude and tacky behavior. Tell them that not only is it totally appalling, but that they are only embarrassing themselves..this helped me let off some steam :P
Does hating the French and Germans count?
My Grandad was like Alf Garnett in 'in sickness and in health' except it wasn't an act .He hated Black people, Asians etc.He refused to be treated by an Asian doctor or a woman .Ver interesting meal times when my Parents are both very liberal and left wing. He came from a generation where it wasn't a problem to speak about it. Just because people are overly PC and don't say it now doesn't mean they don't think it and sometimes they let things slip. IE the obama supporter sandra Behnard talking about Blacks raping Sarah Palin.

But interestingly when my Grandad met my then Black girlfriend he was lovely to her.

Latest

Trending

Trending