The Student Room Group

resit ??

Hi I need help as i am really confused on what to do. I was given an offer from the uni i really wanted to go to and due to me missing an a level exam paper as i was ill and then having to come in the next day to do my other subjects paper, i didn’t do well. i did show evidence and now i have two grades that im not happy with.
Am i able to teach myself as I know what went wrong and resit at an exam centre privately? But how would i apply to uni this year to start for the next academic year 2023 as I know my predicted grades will be bad because of my recent a level grades. Or should i resit in may/june and then apply for 2024 next year? Please let me know as i have no one to ask and i’m so confused
Original post by hannaselman889
Hi I need help as i am really confused on what to do. I was given an offer from the uni i really wanted to go to and due to me missing an a level exam paper as i was ill and then having to come in the next day to do my other subjects paper, i didn’t do well. i did show evidence and now i have two grades that im not happy with.
Am i able to teach myself as I know what went wrong and resit at an exam centre privately? But how would i apply to uni this year to start for the next academic year 2023 as I know my predicted grades will be bad because of my recent a level grades. Or should i resit in may/june and then apply for 2024 next year? Please let me know as i have no one to ask and i’m so confused

You have several options.

1. You could apply for a place now, via Clearing, using the grades which you have (the grades you're not happy with). This might not be at you preferred university, but it's an option.

2. You could embark on a retake year and complete a new UCAS application to start uni in September 2023. Will your current school/college let you retake your A levels there? That would makes things simpler (in terms of predicted grades, a reference for your UCAS application, etc). If not, as you say, you could study independently and resit privately via a separate exam centre. Even if you can't retake via you current school/college, they are in the best position to write a reference and predict your grades (knowing your ability and circumstances). Would they be willing to do that, do you think?

3. Alternatively, you could do as above (i.e. do a retake year) and then apply with your actual grades via Clearing this time next year, to start in September 2023. (Although your only options will be those unis/courses which are available via Clearing then.)

4. You could also apply next year (with your actual grades from the retake year) to start in September 2024.

The good news, is that you can actually do all of the above:

1. Look in Clearing now for a course which might suit. (You should see a blue "Your Clearing matches" in UCAS Hub which will show you places which are available where your grades meet the requirements.)

2. If you don't find one, begin a re-take year and apply to start in September 2023 (using whatever predicted grades you'll have this time, together with your current actual grades).

3. If you don't get any offers, or your retake grades don't meet those offers, then look in Clearing this time next year.

4. If you don't find anything you like there, re-apply from next September using your "new" actual grades to start in September 2024.

If you take this approach, you don't actually have a decision to make. You just follow the above steps until you (hopefully) secure a place you're happy with.
Thank you so much for this, I’ve contacted my teachers via email and am waiting for a response.
What I really want to do is resit my exams in a centre as an external candidate and apply this year. I’m just waiting on my teachers to see if they're able to give me a reference and my predicted grades. But, if the predicted grades are low I may wait until i receive my A level grades and apply for 2024

Quick Reply

Latest