The Student Room Group

I really cant decide:(

I am choosing between two unis… one of them I will have a clearing offer for. (I actually declined an offer from them due to indecisiveness)
Uni 1: Far from home, course is really interesting and motivating for me. Very nice accommodation too. City is nice but not as nice as uni 2. However i like to be flexible and nearer to home so I feel a bit uncomfortable
Uni 2: Closer to home, more flexible. Course and department very friendly and interesting but not as niche as uni 1. Bad accommodation and worried as it’s through clearing.
I struggle with anxiety and have wanted to go to uni for a long time. this decision is really important to me but I just don’t know what to do . advice please!
uni 2 sounds the best, as you said you valued the flexibility and the closeness of home. remember accommodation is only for first year and you move out with people you want to live with :smile: i have quite mediocre accom too, but it’s worth sticking with for first year and moving somewhere that’ll be heaps better because you’re with people you enjoy being with. hope this helps somehow
I'd go to 2.
Hi!

Congratulations on your offer into university!

I would make your decision based on what university you think is going to deliver the best course of your degree, university is a massive investment so it's important to get the most out of it that you can.

It is scary moving away from home, but I promise every single student is feeling the same way! Once you make some friends the home sickness will fade. During my first year many students would go home during reading weeks and for christmas break. The reading weeks would be every 4 weeks or so, so plenty of opportunities to touch base back home.

Worst case scenario is that you might not enjoy living away from home at all, but a year in halls goes very quickly as it's not usually a contracted for the whole year, just term time! Then you can say at least you tried. :smile:

I hope this helps a bit, and good luck!

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
I am choosing between two unis… one of them I will have a clearing offer for. (I actually declined an offer from them due to indecisiveness)
Uni 1: Far from home, course is really interesting and motivating for me. Very nice accommodation too. City is nice but not as nice as uni 2. However i like to be flexible and nearer to home so I feel a bit uncomfortable
Uni 2: Closer to home, more flexible. Course and department very friendly and interesting but not as niche as uni 1. Bad accommodation and worried as it’s through clearing.
I struggle with anxiety and have wanted to go to uni for a long time. this decision is really important to me but I just don’t know what to do . advice please!

I'd go with uni 1 - you can keep in touch online and course and accommodation are important.
uni 1 was originally my first choice but it just feels like much more of an independent lifestyle.. but i’m worried how i’ll cope being away from home as I won’t see my bf and my mum who’s living alone:frown:
uni 2 feels a lot more flexible and comfy but uni 1 just seems a little better as a uni in terms of facilities, people and course. i really don’t know if i should take that risk with uni 1 but then I think that this is a long term thing, 3/4 years and i would want to be comfortable
Is your mind saying Uni 1 because that is the course and accommodation you really want but your heart saying Uni 2? It does sound like Uni 1 is the better choice but you got to go with your heart and mental health is important too when studying.

I actually had this exact scenario and social anxiety as a teenager. I went with Uni 2 (which for me was Lincoln) as an adult I wish I took my Uni 1 which was Warwick but I was scared to be too far away. As an adult I'm independent now and so it would be fine in retrospect but there you go!

ps. I enjoyed Lincoln Uni anyway.
Original post by SunnyBunny22
Is your mind saying Uni 1 because that is the course and accommodation you really want but your heart saying Uni 2? It does sound like Uni 1 is the better choice but you got to go with your heart and mental health is important too when studying.

I actually had this exact scenario and social anxiety as a teenager. I went with Uni 2 (which for me was Lincoln) as an adult I wish I took my Uni 1 which was Warwick but I was scared to be too far away. As an adult I'm independent now and so it would be fine in retrospect but there you go!

ps. I enjoyed Lincoln Uni anyway.

my heart is a little more with uni 1.. but I just don’t have the confidence atm and I really worry for my mental health. it’s 2/3 hours from home and I would miss my bf so much. however I feel much more comfortable in uni 2 and the city, but the accom is bad and not as excited for the course if that makes sense? both unis have a mix of one thing the other is lacking.
i had to make a decision similar to yours, and i ended up choosing uni 2. so far i'm not really regretting it as the flexibility is worth a lot more to me, and the degree will still get me to the same place. i just have to endure first year and hopefully things get even better, and i move into better quality accommodation.
uni 1 was originally my first choice but it just feels like much more of an independent lifestyle.. but i’m worried how i’ll cope being away from home as I won’t see my bf and my mum who’s living alone:frown:
uni 2 feels a lot more flexible and comfy but uni 1 just seems a little better as a uni in terms of facilities, people and course. i really don’t know if i should take that risk with uni 1 but then I think that this is a long term thing, 3/4 years and i would want to be comfortable

bf = best friend of boy friend? Best friends can keep in touch so easily with technology even when apart and meet in holidays. Boyfriend? Statistically it is unlikely you will still be together for the duration of uni, so never base your life decisions and goals based on a boyfriend.

Your mum will want what is best for you. You are not responsible to be a crutch for her if she is alone, of course she will miss you, but you will be leaving home one day and she will find new things in her life to occupy her.
my heart is a little more with uni 1.. but I just don’t have the confidence atm and I really worry for my mental health. it’s 2/3 hours from home and I would miss my bf so much. however I feel much more comfortable in uni 2 and the city, but the accom is bad and not as excited for the course if that makes sense? both unis have a mix of one thing the other is lacking.

Hiya,

Sorry to hear you are struggling with this decision. Going to university is a huge step and life change for anyone so it's good that you are considering your options carefully, but its also important to try not to overthink it too much. I am a big advocate for going with your heart for decisions like this, however I understand your hesitations. I would recommend doing a bit of research on the mental health and pastoral support offered by both unis but especially uni 1- this is really important when you're further away from home (even if you never use it it's always good to know the offer of support is there).

I personally feel its better to be at a uni where you feel supported with good accommodation and a course you love which is further away from home, than it is to be closer to home but not enjoy your time there. I've actually found it to be really beneficial for me to be further away from my family as it's encouraged me to be more independent.

Obviously everyone has their own opinions, but this is a very personal decision, so I hope you are able to make the right choice for yourself :smile:
Yasmin (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending