The Student Room Group

Help for highers

I just came up to S5 and will be doing 5 highers in Maths, English, Computer science, Graphic Communication and physics

My goal for this year is to get all A’s. I was wondering if anyone who has done highers can give some advice and tips?
For all subject start a revision timetable now. Little and often, at this time of the year I was doing 1-3 x 30-40min sessions most week nights, and then more in the run up to prelims and the actual exams. If I was busy during the week I would do a couple at the weekend.

English
Folio - Learn what makes a great folio piece and get your English folio done and out the way early (but don't rush, you can get some valuable marks here).
RUAE - Read lots of opinion pieces in quality newspapers. Practice past papers, read marking instructions and learn exam technique. Read RUAE revision guides. This will also help your Scottish Text.
Critical Essay - Start your essay plans as soon as you can.

Maths
Start revision now and use spaced repetition to continually practice topics you have been taught. Do not leave it until near exams.

Physics
Make sure you have great notes by reviewing regularly. Use whatever method you prefer to ensure you have great recall (not recognition) - spaced repetition, flash cards, mind maps.
Do practice questions from revision guides.
Do past papers, identify gaps and revise.
Reply 2
Original post by Roseforever
I just came up to S5 and will be doing 5 highers in Maths, English, Computer science, Graphic Communication and physics

My goal for this year is to get all A’s. I was wondering if anyone who has done highers can give some advice and tips?

For computing, I think getting a really good knowledge of the languages you are using is so important.

For assignment, just do all previous ones before hand, although I imagine your teacher will do this before hand. For the actual exam, I would revise the exam questions, and make flashcards of the ones you do not know (i.e question, marking instructions) . The vast majority are rather repetitive, and you can learn them quickly. Also use Scholar if you can, and I cannot recommend enough e-Sgoil's supported study offer - it's great, free, and frankly so underutilised in subjects like Computing that you can get a lot of focused time with a teacher. Also, cannot underestimate the power of having another way of having a concept explained to you!

Personally, for me though I never looked at the theory side much until after the assignment!

For English, all I can say is try make a good portfolio - valuable marks. I did not, and probably cost me an A. Pretty much, you want to enter the exam room already having as many marks as possible locked up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending