The Student Room Group

Please answer !! Which uni would you go to ?

Which uni would you choose and why?
Uni life, city life, diversity, etc.

I've chosen:
Diagnostic Radiography at BCU
or
Biomedical Science at University of Surrey

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

I've chosen:
or

Have you seen this?
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2021/sep/11/the-best-uk-universities-2022-rankings
Surrey 100%

Yes I have. That and Complete University Guide. (Which is more reliable in your opinion?)

Anyways, I was asking more in terms of uni everyday life, nightlife, diversity, personal opinions. Not really in terms of ''prestigiousness'' lol
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Surrey 100%

Can you elaborate as to why?
Reply 5
Yes I have. That and Complete University Guide. (Which is more reliable in your opinion?)

Anyways, I was asking more in terms of uni everyday life, nightlife, diversity, personal opinions. Not really in terms of ''prestigiousness'' lol

Well, Uni of Surrey is in Guilford, a small and affluent town in the most affluent county outside London. It will be lovely but expensive. The town is ok and has a good nightlife and connections into London (if you can afford that).

BCU is in the heart of Birmingham just opposite Aston where I went. Birmingham is a melting pot of life and probably the most diverse city in the UK with all the vibrancy it has to offer. My only gripe about Brum was it was difficult to get out, but this was solved by the university mountaineering club.

At the end of the days, it isn't where you go that makes uni life special. It is the friends you make and wherever you go, you are guaranteed to do that.
Original post by hotpud
Well, Uni of Surrey is in Guilford, a small and affluent town in the most affluent county outside London. It will be lovely but expensive. The town is ok and has a good nightlife and connections into London (if you can afford that).

BCU is in the heart of Birmingham just opposite Aston where I went. Birmingham is a melting pot of life and probably the most diverse city in the UK with all the vibrancy it has to offer. My only gripe about Brum was it was difficult to get out, but this was solved by the university mountaineering club.

At the end of the days, it isn't where you go that makes uni life special. It is the friends you make and wherever you go, you are guaranteed to do that.

Thankss soo much for that insight!!
Due to wanting a more diverse and lively uni experience, I think I'll go with BCU.
How did you find Aston??
Reply 7
Thankss soo much for that insight!!
Due to wanting a more diverse and lively uni experience, I think I'll go with BCU.
How did you find Aston??

Brilliant. But I don't think Aston had anything to do with it. On paper, it was a rather small, down and out uni with a single bar and dance floor but in reality I made friends for life there. Birmingham is a fabulous place too.

If I could offer some really good advice. Go and visit both ideally in the dead of winter when it is dark, cold and grim. Then make up your mind. Please don't make such a big decision of the back of some random comments online.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8

I've chosen:
or

Whilst BCU is a shithole, it's cheaper to live in than Surrey. So the choice is down to whether you would like to pay more to not go to BCU (I would)
Reply 9

I've chosen:
or

BCU- the uni life is amazing there and you get to meet a lot of new different people. I’m not going to BCU but i did apply there and they are so kind aswell. They have a lot of facilities which accommodate to your needs and they have extra things such as mental health facilities aswell. As for city life, Birmingham is known for its city life so it isn’t a problem. As for the diversity, it’s incredible because you get to meet alot of different people and it isn’t restricted aswell. It’s a good university.
Original post by hotpud
Brilliant. But I don't think Aston had anything to do with it. On paper, it was a rather small, down and out uni with a single bar and dance floor but in reality I made friends for life there. Birmingham is a fabulous place too.

If I could offer some really good advice. Go and visit both ideally in the dead of winter when it is dark, cold and grim. Then make up your mind. Please don't make such a big decision of the back of some random comments online.

Good luck!

Since I applied to Surrey through clearing, I haven't visited it as I ideally must reply to them by the end of tomorrow, and Surrey is unfortunately quite far from where I live (Manchester).
I wholly understand that it is a dumb idea to make this decision based on online threads, but oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes haha.

Thank you !!
Original post by Cagna_
Whilst BCU is a shithole, it's cheaper to live in than Surrey. So the choice is down to whether you would like to pay more to not go to BCU (I would)

I understand that BCU may not have the best reputation on paper. But I feel like I value my financial freedom (in terms of spending) more haha.
Do you know if Surrey really has as much life and diversity as Birmingham? (cause I feel like that is now my main dealbreaker!)
Original post by bck.
BCU- the uni life is amazing there and you get to meet a lot of new different people. I’m not going to BCU but i did apply there and they are so kind aswell. They have a lot of facilities which accommodate to your needs and they have extra things such as mental health facilities aswell. As for city life, Birmingham is known for its city life so it isn’t a problem. As for the diversity, it’s incredible because you get to meet alot of different people and it isn’t restricted aswell. It’s a good university.

Thanks so much for your insight!
What university did you end up going to instead?
Since I applied to Surrey through clearing, I haven't visited it as I ideally must reply to them by the end of tomorrow, and Surrey is unfortunately quite far from where I live (Manchester).
I wholly understand that it is a dumb idea to make this decision based on online threads, but oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes haha.

Thank you !!

Well, as someone else who lives in Manchester I would definitely say Brum is more of a cultural fit than Surrey.

Good luck!

Thank you !!

Not sure if you’ve gathered this but you’ll be in debt for the next 40 years because of your degree so I would encourage you to make a rational and informed decision not solely based on ‘online threads.’
Reply 15
I have had friends say that Surrey is really good for Social Life because it's only half an hour away on a train from Central London, but it depends on whether you're willing to put more money into living than Birmingham. If I were in your shoes I would go to Surrey. BCU isn't necessarily a bad university, but it is an absolutely AWFUL place and that's why I call it a shithole, because of the city. literally the only thing I would want to do in Birmingham is leave immediately and get another Pfizer shot.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 16
Not sure if you’ve gathered this but you’ll be in debt for the next 40 years because of your degree so I would encourage you to make a rational and informed decision not solely based on ‘online threads.’

Not sure you gathered this but you if haven't repaid your loan in full with 20 to 25 years then it is forgiven completely and you also only have to pay it back if you earn over a minimum of about £25,000 depending on which student loan plan you have, so stop trying to play Devil's Advocate against people who are trying help this person avoid Birmingham.
Original post by Cagna_
Not sure you gathered this but you if haven't repaid your loan in full with 20 to 25 years then it is forgiven completely and you also only have to pay it back if you earn over a minimum of about £25,000 depending on which student loan plan you have, so stop trying to play Devil's Advocate against people who are trying help this person avoid Birmingham.

The loan is not forgiven completely after 20 -25 years. Please give me a source where this is stated or else you have been telling lies.

The loan repayment threshold is currently £27,000 not £25,000 so that is another lie. I’m helping this person to make an informed and rational decision.
Reply 18
The loan is not forgiven completely after 20 -25 years. Please give me a source where this is stated or else you have been telling lies.

The loan repayment threshold is currently £27,000 not £25,000 so that is another lie. I’m helping this person to make an informed and rational decision.

I said around £25,000 because it depends on what payment plan you're on and I wasn't going to list all 4 payment plans that are available. And by your surprise this is on the OFFICIAL government website.

https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan

As it says right there, on Plan 1, if the academic year you took the loan is 2006, 2007 or later, then the loan is written off 25 years from the April you were first due to repay. I said 20-25 because from memory I wasn't 100% sure. I did say it was forgiven completely when I should have used written off, they are still synonymous.

So I still wasn't wrong, so before calling me a liar for being £2,000 short when I said AROUND, you should've just googled 4 words and found your answer instead having to get me to find it for you, have a nice day.
Original post by Cagna_
I said around £25,000 because it depends on what payment plan you're on and I wasn't going to list all 4 payment plans that are available. And by your surprise this is on the OFFICIAL government website.

https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan

As it says right there, on Plan 1, if the academic year you took the loan is 2006, 2007 or later, then the loan is written off 25 years from the April you were first due to repay. I said 20-25 because from memory I wasn't 100% sure. I did say it was forgiven completely when I should have used written off, they are still synonymous.

So I still wasn't wrong, so before calling me a liar for being £2,000 short when I said AROUND, you should've just googled 4 words and found your answer instead having to get me to find it for you, have a nice day.

OP is plan 2 as he will be taking out his loan after 2012. The government website states that:

https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/when-your-student-loan-gets-written-off-or-cancelled

‘When Plan 2 loans get written off

Plan 2 loans are written off 30 years after the April you were first due to repay.,

So yes, you have stated another lie.

Quick Reply