The Student Room Group

Scared I've chosen the wrong uni and it's too late now

I thought I came to an informed decision as I'd narrowed down two unis from my 6 clearing offers and chose Reading. OF COURSE when I accept the offer just now I start seeing about how its nightlife is so dead etc. I feel like I've just thrown away what was meant to be the best days of my life already while others are going to have that dream freshers experience.

I get that Reading has good societies and social life during the day..but is there a way students avoid mid nightlife somehow or did I truly make the wrong decision? Should I swap to a different uni first year?
If you get there and the nightlife is as bad as you fear - you can always just occasionally get a train with some of your uni nights to a city or town with great nightlife and hang out there. But it's probably not likely reading's nightlife will be bad enough to justify that
Reading is right next to London. If the nightlife is what you worried about then I guarantee there’s places people hang out in reading or somewhere else. It’s normal to to feel anxious after making a big decision.
Hi!

As long as this uni is the right one for you, in terms of being the best option at delivering the course for your degree, I would stick with it. Nightlife is not as big of a part of uni that people make out, it's likely after first year that you be too busy to go on a night out to the town all the time :biggrin:

Personally I have never heard that Reading has a bad nightlife, and each university's nightlifes are so different so what one person might say is rubbish, another person will get on quite well with. Where I study the nightlife can be considered a bit dire, but as long as you make the right friends you will always be able to have a good experience. You can live somewhere with 'good' nightlife but if everyone there is a bit boring you're probably not going to enjoy it that much either way! Many students end up having parties at their halls/houses after freshers events, as it's a cheaper option than clubs and pubs.

Of course if it's really important to you and you have found a uni that can deliver a great course with a nightlife you think you would enjoy, then absolutely go for it! It is your unique uni experience after all.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your first year wherever you study!

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending