The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

University of Keele

I got rejected from my firm choice and now I am stuck with Keele. I love being in a lively environment and being bored makes me feel so down and I am worried about this since the university is known to be very unlively. Another worry of mine is access to things like African shops, Asian shops to buy Chinese and Korean food, and close proximity of stores like Aldi, and Sainsbury. Does anyone know if these things are accessible and if the University is a bit livelier than it is thought to be?
Original post by Anonymous
I got rejected from my firm choice and now I am stuck with Keele. I love being in a lively environment and being bored makes me feel so down and I am worried about this since the university is known to be very unlively. Another worry of mine is access to things like African shops, Asian shops to buy Chinese and Korean food, and close proximity of stores like Aldi, and Sainsbury. Does anyone know if these things are accessible and if the University is a bit livelier than it is thought to be?

Also are there banks such as HSBC nearby?
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by Anonymous

Hi Anon!

I'm sorry you didn't get into your first choice of university but we look forward to welcoming you at Keele and I hope that you'll soon begin to feel at home- and that you'll discover it to be a little more lively than you might think!

Although Keele is a campus university, we've got plenty going on. There's a decent on-campus Co-operative mini-market that stocks essentials (including a good range of 'world food' basics), plus a newsagents/post office. Depending on your bank account, you may be able to access basic banking services via the post office - I'm with HSBC and I can pay in and withdraw via my local post office counter, provided I have my debit card and pin. There's also a branch of HSBC in nearby Newcastle under Lyme.

There's also a range of nightlife and activities on campus. We have the SU, which has several spaces - a chilled downstairs area with chairs/tables, comfy sofas, a small shop, a cafe, a print shop, vending machines and the 'Union Kitchen'; The Squirrel, which is the bar (and also serves food), and The Ballroom and Mars Room (the events spaces). There's also the KPA Clubhouse which is another bar/restaurant that offers both entertainment and food and drink service. There's Chancellors Cafe, Central, Central Cafe, Central Grab and Go, and Denise Coates Cafe for more food and drink options, plus a Greggs outlet on campus too. And that's before I get to what all of our societies and sports clubs get up to! You can find out more at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/campuslife/ and https://keelesu.com/activities/clubs-societies/.

If you head off campus, nearby Newcastle under Lyme and Stoke-on-Trent both have plenty of options in terms of supermarkets, banks, and shopping. Newcastle under Lyme is only a short bus/taxi ride away (with regular buses running to/from campus) and you'll find an Aldi, Sainsbury's, Lidl, Tesco Express, Iceland, and a Morrisons there. The Morrisons is probably closest to campus so a lot of students go there.

Further afield in Stoke on Trent, you'll find Pak Foods (http://pakfoods.net/): an excellent Asian supermarket where you can pick up all sorts of world food ingredients at a reasonable price. They have two outlets in Stoke - one in Dresden and one in Shelton. The one in Shelton isn't far from Stoke on Trent train station, which you can get to by bus from Keele campus. Stoke's a pretty diverse city so there's plenty of other local shops, mini-markets, and restaurants selling a variety of international foods and cuisines. We've also got a diverse community on campus at Keele so the campus outlets try and cater to a variety of tastes - and I'm sure other students will have tips on the best places to eat and shop when you arrive!

The other great thing about Keele is that it's easy to get further afield if you want to. So if you do want a taste of city life for a day or two, you can get the train from Stoke to Manchester, Birmingham, and London or, if you have access to a car, hop on the M6 and get exploring! Honestly though, I hope you'll find once you arrive that we have the best of both worlds here. We've got a peaceful campus setting - and you can certainly find plenty of chilled and relaxed activities going on and quiet places to study - but we've also got plenty going on in and around the university.

Hope that helps but please do ask if you have any other questions!

Amy Louise :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest