The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

From Having Open Univ BSc to Graduate in Univ of Oxford

I failed my summer six form exam and I was withdrawn my offer by Univ. of Man. (Math and Phy joint course). I don’t have plan to proceed clearing…

Instead I just think the possibility of plan, From OU to Oxford. First, I get Phy and Math BSc in Open Univ and then I want to get Math and Theo Msc in Univ of Oxford. Do you think it is possible or not?
Original post by Gene Y Dho
I failed my summer six form exam and I was withdrawn my offer by Univ. of Man. (Math and Phy joint course). I don’t have plan to proceed clearing…

Instead I just think the possibility of plan, From OU to Oxford. First, I get Phy and Math BSc in Open Univ and then I want to get Math and Theo Msc in Univ of Oxford. Do you think it is possible or not?

As someone who has done both the OU and a standard uni, they are very different experiences. The OU is a very tough way to study in my opinion, as it is primarily all by yourself and takes a lot more motivation that a brick university.

Have a long think about this path and if you can speak to other people who have done the OU. The OU is very well regarded, and provided you get the grades you will have no doors closed to you.

To your question it is of course possible, and has already been done before.

Take care,

Greg
(edited 1 year ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Original post by greg tony
As someone who has done both the OU and a standard uni, they are very different experiences. The OU is a very tough way to study in my opinion, as it is primarily all by yourself and takes a lot more motivation that a brick university.

Have a long think about this path and if you can speak to other people who have done the OU. The OU is very well regarded, and provided you get the grades you will have no doors closed to you.

To your question it is of course possible, and has already been done before.

Take care,

Greg

Thank you. Maybe It is tough, I consider condition of selfstudying so I already start Mathematical Physics and other physics, just along to Undergraduate Physics course Scheme in Univ of Oxford(I had downloaded that scheme from Oxford.) since last year.

And I want to know about Possibility of mature student from OU to KCL and UCL. Is it also possible?
Original post by Gene Y Dho
Thank you. Maybe It is tough, I consider condition of selfstudying so I already start Mathematical Physics and other physics, just along to Undergraduate Physics course Scheme in Univ of Oxford(I had downloaded that scheme from Oxford.) since last year.

And I want to know about Possibility of mature student from OU to KCL and UCL. Is it also possible?

Yes it is possible, i went from OU BSc to a very prestigous university doctorate and my friend did exactly the same. OU is very highly regarded, due to exactly what I said before (motivation and ability to work independently)
If you're planning to study physics, you may want to look into the OpenPlus scheme - where you spend a couple if years studying with the OU then transfer to one of their (brick and mortar!) partner universities like Loughborough, Lancaster, or York among others as I recall, to finish the degree. This way you get the best of the OU and brick uni study, and also for physics can be nice so you more practical lab experience by the end of the course :smile:

But as above there's no real reason you couldn't do this. The only reason it's probably not as common is that a lot of OU students move into professional rrtaher than academic fields when they finish (or more often stay in the professional area they're already in while using the degree to progress in that profession!). Also note that a lot of "top" unis have joint research projects with the OU, including Oxford and Cambridge. So it's well recognised and we'll established.
Is it possible? Yes. But just because something is possible doesn't mean it is guaranteed, or easy.

One step at a time. Don't worry about Oxford, or KCL, or graduate degrees. You need to figure out how to get to the expected level for the end of sixth form so you can cope with an undergraduate course. That's possible too, but you do have to get on and do it. Then you figure out how to do well at undergraduate level. And so on.
Original post by greg tony
Yes it is possible, i went from OU BSc to a very prestigous university doctorate and my friend did exactly the same. OU is very highly regarded, due to exactly what I said before (motivation and ability to work independently)

It is my excuse sir, Can I contact at social media with you? I just want to talk deep information about it.

Quick Reply

Latest