Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hI
    Im applying to the following universities to study Economics.

Manchester
    Nottingham
    UCL
    Wariwck
    Birmingham

I attained BBBC at AS
    I have been predicted AAA in Maths, Economics and ICT.

I am thinking of applying to LSE instead of birmingham which will leave me with manchester my lowest uni of AAB.
    do you think it is worth doing

ReputationRep:
    its rather obvs if you ask me..
    Birmingham!!

ReputationRep:
    why is it obvious.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Priyan)
    why is it obvious.
    Because there's as much of a chance that you'll go down a grade as you will up. Even if you were to maintain current performance and come out with BBB, you'd fall short of any conditional offers. Having five very competitive universities on your application list when you can't be absolutely confident of coming out with top grades is a bad idea; and unless your GCSEs are also top-notch you may be throwing away an application spot on LSE.

ReputationRep:
    You have chosen some very, very competitive universities there. I'd choose Birmingham over LSE, personally. Its so hard to get into and, although your AS results were good (same as mine!) they are just not enough by LSE's standards. Plus, they are "GCSE Nazis". Your GCSE results have to be top-notch too. I'd see them as a waste of a choice.

ReputationRep:
    so you thuink the lowest Abb uni will be ok for me.

ReputationRep:
    or is bham styll competitve
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    or is bham styll competitve
    Well, of course it's competitive. It's just less competitive than LSE, particularly in economics.

Personally I'd drop one of your other four, too, and go for a BBB university as a back-up. Have a read of paulwhy's guide to give you an idea of how competitive the courses are.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=619184

ReputationRep:
    or shall i swap birmingham instead of a BBB university

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you should bother with lse as it probably one of the most competitive courses in the country and they probably only consider u if u have actually obtained at least 3 As at A/S and ur gcses will need to be rly good too =/
    otherwise ur choices r pretty nice tho (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to add that I got Aaabb last year and am predicted AAAA and got rejected by UCL for economics. Those unis are very competitive and I think you should add at least two BBB unis, maybe Royal Holloway. I would leave Birmingham, Nottingham as your top choices and have maybe Leeds, Manchester and Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    why would ABB uni be my top hoice.
    im definately going for warwick,ucl,nottingham, manchester.
    its just the last one im thinknig shall i have brimingham or city.
    its maybe u gt rehejcted cus yr personal statement was rubblsh.

LSE would definitly not take you, people who do economics there have AAA at AS and atleast 5A* at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    why would ABB uni be my top hoice.
    im definately going for warwick,ucl,nottingham, manchester.
    its just the last one im thinknig shall i have brimingham or city.
    its maybe u gt rehejcted cus yr personal statement was rubblsh.
    Please don't use text speak.

I am just giving advice... take it or leave it. ICT is not a respected subject by LSE's standards so in effect you have AA predictions. If you are thinking about it this much then go for it but I would say Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Royal Holloway and if you really want substitute one of them for UCL or Warwick

Also it could have been my personal statement but if my grades + PS weren't good enough yours would have to be cracking.

ReputationRep:
    enen though you are predicted AAA u got bbbc at AS and at unis like lse warwick and ucl you will be competiting with many people who got 3 A's at AS and predicted 3'as if i was you i would scrap ucl and replace it with a bbb uni then your top ones will be warwick and nottingham which are both still very good.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the LSE Econ applicants from this year and last on the LSE forum to see what you're competition will be like. They've all got A*s across the board at GCSE, and AAAA as a minimum in four academically rigorous subjects..and a few have already been rejected. You might have an alright chance at Birmingham, but the problem is Economics become extremely competitive so bear that in mind when choosing.

ReputationRep:
    tell you what, apply to LSE and all the other top uni's. you will get rejected though as a warning. then maybe you will listen to people when you have to reapply next year.

ReputationRep:
    I would say if you really want to apply to LSE then everything else has to be top notch. Fanastic PS, GCSE's and a good reason why you got BBB at AS. Plus I would recommend you applying to Birmingham and replacing LSE with another uni like Warick or UCL to reduce the chance of not getting any place at all. Or maybe apply to LSE for another course which ask for ABB-BBB or if you want to really push it AAB if you want to go to LSE soo much

ReputationRep:
    how the **** you got those predictions i have no idea........

drop two of either nottingham UCL or Warwick because tbh you don't stand much of a chance compared to the other candidates who have AAAA+ at As
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Remove LSE and stick with Birmingham. You've a better chance with Birmingham, plus it's still a really good university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.