Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    *high five*

oo oo mine's a Bosch exxcel multi programme, whats yours?!
    It's from Ikea lol.

Anyway, on topic, yet again, don't do it. You can always just not give them the money.

ReputationRep:
    Do It!!!

ReputationRep:
    ah i loled at this, op you've clearly put A LOT of thought into this, i mean the wet suit and the second hand dishwasher ahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overground)

Bets involving white goods have been done before
    I LOVE that book!

I've been trying to find the picture of the fridge surfing to put in my sig but to no avail lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    To communicate with the outside, I'd have a switch that needed to be held constantly, if I let go of it, it would immediately signal a light outside to the guys that the bet stops and I need out.
    An electrical switch in a dishwasher full of water?

Other than that, I'm impressed at how detailed your plans are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vickyy)
    An electrical switch in a dishwasher full of water?

Other than that, I'm impressed at how detailed your plans are.

Yeah, I thought of this too. The switch won't be completely submerged. And it'll be pretty low voltage too. So I won't be electricuted. And I will calibrate it before to make sure it works perfect.

Yes, I have put a lot of thought into this, because I love to win a bet. And the money makes it worthwhile too. And not many people can say they've survived a dishwasher cycle, I can use it to pull.

It'd work on you right, if I slid up beside you, gave you a smile, looked into your eyes and whispered into your ear, "Hey Vicko, have you ever made out with a guy who survived a dishwasher cycle before?"

ReputationRep:
    Do it!!!!!!! Take a bottle of water incase the drying cycle gets dehyrdating, might help you last out the last 2 minutes if your getting really hot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overground)

Bets involving white goods have been done before
    The cover of my copy is far uglier than that. I feel cheated.

ReputationRep:
    Also get someone to knock on the door every few minutes, and you have to knock back to say your ok, if not they open the door.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you're sitting on the things that spin round and spray water (and therefore stopping them going round ...) you're probably going to burn out the motors so the dishwasher will stop before you get through a full cycle. Either that or you'll end up with brain damage (oh, hang on, wait ...) from the one on the top of the unit belting you on the head every time it spins.

Also, you'll get residue from previous washes - being doused in a salt and detergent solution really won't be a pleasant experience. Also, in my experience with commercial dishwashers, there's no 30 degree setting, and even if there is it's unlikely to be reliable - I know that we'd often send things through on a 'cool' cycle and they'd come out roasting.

This really is a stupid idea. You can poach fish in a dishwasher, which really suggests to me that it's not a good idea for a human to put themselves through a cycle in one ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogkicker91)
    Do it!!!!!!! Take a bottle of water incase the drying cycle gets dehyrdating, might help you last out the last 2 minutes if your getting really hot.
    I think drinking out of a bottle might be impossible inside, it is rather crampt. But a straw could be used. But I'd prefer to just bypass the drying stage.

ReputationRep:
    I will marry you if you do this.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't believe it when I saw how many posts you have, I thought you had to be a troll.

This really made me laugh. Is this serious??

Better start planning your funeral, at least you'll have a £400 budget.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, dishwashers are generally watertight, and watertight things are pretty much always air tight. Unless you evolve gills I think you might be hopping into a watery, dishwasher shaped coffin.

But good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    Hmmm, dishwashers are generally watertight, and watertight things are pretty much always air tight. Unless you evolve gills I think you might be hopping into a watery, dishwasher shaped coffin.

But good luck
    Like the old chest freezers. Heard a few stories of kids climbing in and then not being able to get out :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Can#t you persuade them just to let you do a rinse? Even for half the money? That's still £200!

ReputationRep:
    I read about a little girl who got into the washing machine with her cat in the middle of the night, and then her mum woke up 2 hours later and found the little girl dead in the washing machine.
    the cat was alive, though.
    Pick me up was so depressing that week .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Well you're not going to be able to open it from the inside.

Surely you would a) be horribly burnt b) drown c) suffocate d) all of the above.

Don't do it. 400 quid, and for what? Appearing in the Daily Mail under the headline 'Drunken teen in dishwasher death horror.'
    I was thinking just the same thing. This is exactly how these kind of stories you read/hear about start - a drunken bet, and lots of peer pressure.

Ok, so there are people calling you a legend. They think it's a great idea. But I think it's time for a reality check.
    Advantages:
    - £400
    - Respect from SOME of your peers
    - not having to "back down"
    - a chat up line/interesting conversation topic
    Disadvantages
    - possibility of death
    - possibility of severe, maybe permanent, physical harm

OK, so both of those disadvantages are "possibility", they *might* not even happen - but is that a risk you're willing to take? Even if you take loads of safety precautions, so there's only a 1/10,000 chance of you killing yourself - this is actually dying we're talking about. Not having a bad time; not grazing your elbow; not being humiliated - the end of your life. And all the people who know/like/love you grieving over your loss in such a stupid prank.

Sure, it probably won't happen. If you do go through with it, it will probably be a great laugh, something else to add to your CV of completed stupid stunts. But I hope to God you think through the alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cobalt_Shift)
    I was thinking just the same thing. This is exactly how these kind of stories you read/hear about start - a drunken bet, and lots of peer pressure.

Ok, so there are people calling you a legend. They think it's a great idea. But I think it's time for a reality check.
    Advantages:
    - £400
    - Respect from SOME of your peers
    - not having to "back down"
    - a chat up line/interesting conversation topic
    Disadvantages
    - possibility of death
    - possibility of severe, maybe permanent, physical harm

OK, so both of those disadvantages are "possibility", they *might* not even happen - but is that a risk you're willing to take? Even if you take loads of safety precautions, so there's only a 1/10,000 chance of you killing yourself - this is actually dying we're talking about. Not having a bad time; not grazing your elbow; not being humiliated - the end of your life. And all the people who know/like/love you grieving over your loss in such a stupid prank.

Sure, it probably won't happen. If you do go through with it, it will probably be a great laugh, something else to add to your CV of completed stupid stunts. But I hope to God you think through the alternatives.

I can't seriously see the possibilities of death or serious harm. I have shown how I'd avoid the temperature problems, risks of suffication, and risk of drowning. I would be breathing off a hose to the outside, so even if it did somehow fill completely with water, I'd be able to breathe. I'll modify the dishwasher so it runs on cold only. I have a good knowledge of electricity. The hazards I can see are cramp/getting really uncomfortable, but if it gets bad, I can stop the challenge. And hypothermia, but I can stop that with a wetsuit. Or at least minimise the risk.

I don't need to do things to get the respect of my friends. I have their respect already. I am under no peer pressure at all. I suggested it myself. And I'm man enough to stop something that I wasn't comfortable with. I'm doing this for fun, for the challenge, and because it's something to laugh about in a few years.

I can cope with a little discomfort, and I don't think it will be that uncomfortable, for an hour for £400.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    I can't seriously see the possibilities of death or serious harm. I have shown how I'd avoid the temperature problems, risks of suffication, and risk of drowning. I would be breathing off a hose to the outside, so even if it did somehow fill completely with water, I'd be able to breathe. I'll modify the dishwasher so it runs on cold only. I have a good knowledge of electricity. The hazards I can see are cramp/getting really uncomfortable, but if it gets bad, I can stop the challenge. And hypothermia, but I can stop that with a wetsuit. Or at least minimise the risk.

I don't need to do things to get the respect of my friends. I have their respect already. I am under no peer pressure at all. I suggested it myself. And I'm man enough to stop something that I wasn't comfortable with. I'm doing this for fun, for the challenge, and because it's something to laugh about in a few years.

I can cope with a little discomfort, and I don't think it will be that uncomfortable, for an hour for £400.
    Are you aspiring for a Darwin award? :shifty:

- Why are you asking on TSR? If I did something risky I wouldn't rely on the logic/guesswork/opinions of the masses on a student forum :rolleyes: I don't really take your claims to be researching this very seriously, if you are going to take the responses in this thread as sufficiently reliable or informative (no offence everyone)

- Industrial dishwashers always heat to 80 degrees or over, and modern dishwashers will probably do the same to meet with national Health and Safety requirements (I did a Food Health and Hygeine course)
    - If you survive, you won't have any children. Men are advised to avoid having baths because its shown to significantly reduce their sperm count and harm its production over life. An hour of intense heat could leave you permanently sterilised.

I survived being struck by lightning, but I didn't go out of my way to make it happen...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.