Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can see this whole thing exploding, 'Student dies in dishwasher after being egged on by chat room users"

ReputationRep:
    What's the current odds on you dying??

ReputationRep:
    please keep us updated on what's going on with the bet, any second hand dishwashers purchased or changes made to it etc??
    and if all goes to plan make sure you tell us what it was like in there, although it doesn't take much imagination but you know

ReputationRep:
    drat, double post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    I was out yesterday, got talking to some guys while slightly intoxicated, and the subject of dishwashers came up. I have a bit of a reputation for doing crazy bets. So, to cut a long story short, I have been challenged to go in a dishwasher and stay in it for one full cycle, with the door shut and everything. There is a lot of money riding on this bet (400 quid minimum), so I'm definately up for it.

I made sure it was a 30C cycle, and that there was no detergent added, as I don't want scalded. And that the racks for dishes are removed, as otherwise I won't fit in.

I imagine it's going to be like a sauna, but colder, and pitch black. I also might get cramp because a dishwasher cycle takes an hour or so. But, what I wonder is, are dishwashers airtight? Because I don't want to sufficate. I may attach an airhose to the outside to allow me to breathe if this is the case. Also, how hot does a dishwasher get on the drying bit? Dishes always seem really hot when they come out.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Surely if the water temperature didnt kill you, the level of oxygen would...or lack of it....

ReputationRep:
    Please, dont do it OP:sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkeneddreams)
    Surely if the water temperature didnt kill you, the level of oxygen would...or lack of it....

Everyone seems to not be reading the thread fully. I've stated that I would disconnect the heating element, and cut a hole for air, with a hose running from it.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to not be reading the thread fully. I've stated that I would disconnect the heating element, and cut a hole for air, with a hose running from it.
    True,

but your neglecting that its not a proper dishwasher then... also, it would have to be a bloody big hole..or connect a large pipe to outside of the dishwasher etc

I still would advise against it, how would you stop everything "if" it went wrong?

ReputationRep:
    you are still being stupid.

ReputationRep:
    True,

but your neglecting that its not a proper dishwasher then... also, it would have to be a bloody big hole..or connect a large pipe to outside of the dishwasher etc

I still would advise against it, how would you stop everything "if" it went wrong?
    For the terms of the bet, it's fine.

It wouldn't have to be a huge hole. Look at snorkles, they aren't hugely thick, I'd use something like that.

I would stop it, as I stated earlier in the thread, by having a switch in with me set that if I let go of the switch, it would immediately flick on a light to signal to the guys outside I needed out.

ReputationRep:
    This has the potential to go so wrong it's hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Please, PLEASE, for the Love of $deity::[whichever], don't do this. Whatever you think may happen, may not necessarily happen. Things do go wrong, they can and they will.

If this ends up with "Student dies in dishwasher bet" appearing on BBCi or Teletext, or Sky News, I will know where to come to find the tributes.

Seriously, you're nuts. :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    Don't do it.
    You mean Don't do it without filming it for Youtube? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The only problem I can see with it is the rapid temperature change.

You'd need a stinger suit for the drying phase, but that's probably about it. An emergency oxygen mask might also come in handy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    You mean Don't do it without filming it for Youtube? :p:
    No. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm just waiting for a "Man killed by dishwasher" story to crop up on the news.

Anyway, if you go through with this....good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    The only problem I can see with it is the rapid temperature change.

You'd need a stinger suit for the drying phase, but that's probably about it. An emergency oxygen mask might also come in handy.
    Where do you get a emergency oxygen mask from????? But for the rest..I quote...

ReputationRep:
    Where do you get a emergency oxygen mask from????? But for the rest..I quote...
    any dive store, sports store, amazon, google, wherever....

It's hardly even a challenge without the heating part.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say go for it. But it may be slightly more difficult than at first glance. And im not talking about the health risks.

Your curled up. You look around and its ***** black. The walls are stopping you from uncurling. Now this may be doable for like 10 torturing minutes. But if your in there for an hour, the walls will start to close in on you. The presence of water will play tricks on your mind, make you feel like your suffocating even when a hosepipe is connected. And when you think your suffocating in this pitch black coffin, you reach for air in this hosepipe. But the because your breathing through a pipe, it doesn't allow air in quick enough to ease that thought of suffocation, even though it may keep you alive. The feeling is not helped by you being in the fetal position or curled up in any way, as your lungs and diaphragm cant fully expand. If the suffocation thoughts dont get you, the pitch black claustrophobia will. And thats assuming theres absolutely no heat in there, a pure cold wash. Even the slightest bit of steam will give you some nasty illusions in there.

I rekon you'll last 10-15 mins, 20 max. You may have tested it for bodily risks, but if you carry it out for the whole hour, you'll most probably come out mental.

Try to minimise every risk you can find. Good luck,
    Elektrolite.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.