Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    I was out yesterday, got talking to some guys while slightly intoxicated, and the subject of dishwashers came up. I have a bit of a reputation for doing crazy bets. So, to cut a long story short, I have been challenged to go in a dishwasher and stay in it for one full cycle, with the door shut and everything. There is a lot of money riding on this bet (400 quid minimum), so I'm definately up for it.

I made sure it was a 30C cycle, and that there was no detergent added, as I don't want scalded. And that the racks for dishes are removed, as otherwise I won't fit in.

I imagine it's going to be like a sauna, but colder, and pitch black. I also might get cramp because a dishwasher cycle takes an hour or so. But, what I wonder is, are dishwashers airtight? Because I don't want to sufficate. I may attach an airhose to the outside to allow me to breathe if this is the case. Also, how hot does a dishwasher get on the drying bit? Dishes always seem really hot when they come out.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Having perused your post history, I frankly suspect Darwin would turn in his grave if you didn't go through with this; so be my guest.

ReputationRep:
    And if it goes wrong your family could always sue the dishwasher company for not putting labels all over it saying 'DO NOT SIT IN THE MACHINE WHILST IT'S ON... NOT EVEN FOR £400!'. There, silver linings and all that

ReputationRep:
    Most dishwashers; the handle clicks into place and to open it you have to pull the handle from the outside. However, mine for example- you simply pull a fixed handle. This means you could probably open it from the inside. Also, you might be able to stop any dangerous fans by just putting something in the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joly)
    You could steal a monkey from a zoo and do a test run on it.

:mad: NO! don't do that

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps test run the dishwasher on your planned settings and see how hot things get?

ReputationRep:
    I was out yesterday, got talking to some guys while slightly intoxicated, and the subject of dishwashers came up. I have a bit of a reputation for doing crazy bets. So, to cut a long story short, I have been challenged to go in a dishwasher and stay in it for one full cycle, with the door shut and everything. There is a lot of money riding on this bet (400 quid minimum), so I'm definately up for it.

I made sure it was a 30C cycle, and that there was no detergent added, as I don't want scalded. And that the racks for dishes are removed, as otherwise I won't fit in.

I imagine it's going to be like a sauna, but colder, and pitch black. I also might get cramp because a dishwasher cycle takes an hour or so. But, what I wonder is, are dishwashers airtight? Because I don't want to sufficate. I may attach an airhose to the outside to allow me to breathe if this is the case. Also, how hot does a dishwasher get on the drying bit? Dishes always seem really hot when they come out.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    LMAO! Legend! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elektrolite)
    I rekon you'll last 10-15 mins, 20 max. You may have tested it for bodily risks, but if you carry it out for the whole hour, you'll most probably come out mental.
    Elektrolite.
    TBH I don't think he's going in entirely sane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    :mad: NO! don't do that
    I don't think he was being serious love.

ReputationRep:
    How many fingers do you have? Is your mum also your dad?

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Less talk, more washing :p:

ReputationRep:
    youve got to be kidding

ReputationRep:
    Well isn't that something... :|
    I probably wouldn't get inside my dishwasher even if I was paid £400+! Doesn't look too appealing in there :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    He's probably dead, he hasn't posted on here for ages.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    For what it's worth, I think only a lunatic would do this bet. My advice - don't do it. But you're clearly hell bent on doing it anyway so I'm not too sure why you even posted to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    He's probably dead, he hasn't posted on here for ages.
    He probably did a test run...

ReputationRep:
    If you disconnect the heating element and the moving parts then your basically having a cold, cramped shower :confused: That doesn't sound very challenging.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing, I love how you are completely taking this on. As long as you disable the heating elements you should be fine. I'd be surprised if you could drown inside due to the water as you can open these up during mid-operation and theres never much. Just don't block the sink at the bottom where it all goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    If you disconnect the heating element and the moving parts then your basically having a cold, cramped shower :confused: That doesn't sound very challenging.
    I'll still have the rotors at the top and bottom not disabled. It will be like a cold, claustraphoic shower, in total darkness. And some dishwashers do run on a 30C setting which is basically the same, except warmer. I wouldn't have taken the bet if I thought I was going to die.

ReputationRep:
    I'll still have the rotors at the top and bottom not disabled. It will be like a cold, claustraphoic shower, in total darkness. And some dishwashers do run on a 30C setting which is basically the same, except warmer. I wouldn't have taken the bet if I thought I was going to die.
    Well, the rotors are normally powered by the water squirting out of them, holding them in place will do them no damage. How are you going to disconnect the element though? And how are you going to get this breathing tube in? If you don't close the door properly, the interlock will cause stop the cycle. If you tamper with the element, it might cause the dishwasher to not work at all, as it's an integral part of the machine, and if you didn't successfully disconnect it, these elements heat up hot enough to melt plastic. I've lost count of the number of items of cutlery I'd had to scrape off the heating elements on dishwashers.

It's a completely stupid thing to do and it's not going to work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.