Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    During the first couple of days on IOT everyone visits the dentist and med centre. Can anyone confirm what happens during your visit to the med centre?? Ie is it a full medical exam again or basically just going over the usual health questionnaires etc again? Does everyone get weighed/measured again with eye and hearing tests etc?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Question 1... errr, why?

I seem to recall you get a bunch of vaccinations or bloods taken if you need them.

ReputationRep:
    At Halton it was loads of jabs (2 at a time for extra fun!), eye sight and hearing tests, took some blood to find out your type... and that was about it. Took ages due to the sheer number of people, but there wasn't a whole lot to it.

Did you scrape through on something at the AFCO or OASC?

ReputationRep:
    whats with all the questions from everyone? maybe he/she is just generally wondering what to expect.

ps. nobody will be coming at me with two vaccines at once. x
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Boo2204)
    Can anyone confirm what happens during your visit to the med centre??
    That's why; the OP sounded a bit concerned about it, which is a bit of a surprise. There are much more important things to wonder about on IOT than precisely what happens at a medical centre visit.

ReputationRep:
    I guess this is a forum and everyone interprets posts differently. Me, I would assume that if he/she had applied/was applying they would know about IOT in depth, but the med centre visit not so much and genuinly wanted to know a bit more about it.

OP, what do you need to know about the med centre/dental visit? are you worried about it?

x

ReputationRep:
    I am not concerned as I am already a serving member (18 years!) so know about medicals and medical boards etc etc! I was however asking because there is an issue with weight (have previously posted about it) so genuinely would like to find what happens during it and in particular if you are weighed (perhaps I should have been a little clearer).

In short, was due on IOT14, during OASC I was advised to reach 94.5kg. Since then there has been a change of Medical President who reviewed my files and changed that weight to 88kg. Unfortunately I wasnt advised of this until 5 days before I was due to start IOT14. Was advised at that time that unless I maintain that weight of 88 kg maximum then I will not graduate etc etc.

Hence I was asking this question because of the above and the fact that it is not clear how/if my weight will be monitored throughout IOT and if it is routine that everyone gets weighed during that med visit or will it just be me.

PS eta I am using my wife's user name (cant register under my own as we only have one email address) so I am male incase anyone was wondering about the heavy weight!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Since then there has been a change of Medical President who reviewed my files and changed that weight to 88kg. Unfortunately I wasnt advised of this until 5 days before I was due to start IOT14. Was advised at that time that unless I maintain that weight of 88 kg maximum then I will not graduate etc etc.
    Hmm. Unfortunately, I would imagine that they'll find themselves a bit busy at IOT to worry about it, so rather than getting any sort of help or proper advice you'll probably just get thrown onto scales at random points, and have a spurious weight lopped off to cover the CS95 you're wearing!

They might well weigh you on the first med centre visit, but I would have thought if there's a real issue that you're over their prescribed "safe" maximum weight for training then they wouldn't let you start IOT properly. If you look on it as a fitness thing, if you stuff the first fitness tests then they won't let you start the main course, it's straight to holding flight until you're fit enough to get it done.

I'd say it's either a weigh-in nice and early, followed by a brief spell on holding flight getting extremely fit and lean while waiting for the next course if you're overweight, or they'll do absolutely nothing until the end of the course, where they'll weigh you and see if you're below the level they want to graduate you!

By then you'll have done the eating-lots-but-not-running-lots academic phase, so keeping weight under control's a lot harder. I'd hope by then my Flt Cdr would take my side that it's a stupid, arbitrary thing and if my weight was inappropriate they should have fixed it properly at the start, rather than just waiting to spoil my graduation! There's not really the time for a diet on IOT, after all.

Good luck regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxRAFNurse2bxx)
    ps. nobody will be coming at me with two vaccines at once. x
    Interesting theory...

ReputationRep:
    There is NO standard medical anyway as everyone is different. Most likely bloods, vax and fillings. If your weight has been flagged up, they will weight you and recalc your BMI most likely. How's the weight loss coming along?

ReputationRep:
    LV - on 17th October I weighed 97.5kg and last Friday I was 92kg. I have until 17th December to get to 88kg but it is extremely extremely hard going . I am training twice a day, for a total of 4 hours (2 hours light weights and cv in the morning and 2 hours hard CV in the afternoon). I am also running 5 miles on Saturdays and at least one run (or rather a slow jaunt around the village!) during the week in the evening. At my request I am being monitored weekly at the gym by the PEdO and at the med centre so that if the worst comes to the worst everything will be documented on how much I have lost, when and how (doc and PEdO etc etc cant understand why I have to get to this weight bearing in mind my build etc but here's nothing they can say or do to change the Medical Boards decision!) There is nothing else that I can physically do to lose weight any quicker but heyho.

Still got 5 weeks to go until the official date but realistically I only have just under 4 as obviously I need to do a leaving routine for the Navy and my base and get all the paperwork in order before Christmas leave, otherwise if I kept to their date of 17th, I will have 2 days in which to do all of this. Obviously if I kept to the deadline of 17th, I run the risk of not getting clearance in time, plus the fact that everyone on camp and probably Cranwell start to wind down in readiness for leave!!

ReputationRep:
    That's good going. You've lost 5.5kgs in around a month. You have another month so you should be fine. Just think of it as cutting. What's your diet been like? Another tip, cut down on the beers if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck and well done on the weight loss, you seem a very motivated person, keep it up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you've mentioned this before boo, but how tall are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AC Bloggs)
    Interesting theory...
    do expand on that...........:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    That's good going. You've lost 5.5kgs in around a month. You have another month so you should be fine. Just think of it as cutting. What's your diet been like? Another tip, cut down on the beers if you haven't already.
    Thanks. I never used to drink much anyway (probably a couple of pints a week if I was lucky!!) but have cut out all alcohol since the middle of October. Diet is healthy. Unfortunately I am starting to lose muscle mass and definition in my upper arms and chest which isnt so good but with a 44in minimum chest, and 32/34 waist I havent got anywhere else to lose it :no: . The original med officer took my build into account during OASC medical but the new one hasnt but then again he hasn't even seen me! I cant wait to get back to proper weights again after all of this to build it up again. Just really fed up of it all now as I am physically and emotionally knackered and I havent even got to Cranwell yet!!!

Anyway weighed again today, down to 91kg so another kg lost .

Captainusa - Im 178 cm or 5ft 10.

ReputationRep:
    hello
    Ok, I just wrote a massive post with a loads of suggestions however if I were you I'd be getting a proper body fat measurement done and submitting that to the SMO and seeing what they say.
    Given you are 5'10", 202lbs and have a waist of 32 - 34; you BF% comes out around 12.9% (I assumed you were 28 - 30(!!), sorry if I'm waaaay off the mark. The calculator I used is here.

You shouldn't have to give up weights though, but coupled with decent cardio including fartlek training (which should probably comprise a higher % of your training to maintain muscle) you should be able to shift weight as if you were cutting rather than getting wastage. TBH you shouldn't be losing too much in all honestly. I would just stick to 1 or 2 long endurance runs with a pack on and do fartlek the rest of the time. A good set of sprints will do more for you metabolism and fat burning that long endurance runs. However if you stick a pack on it will work you harder. TBH this is all good phys for you in preparation.

I know it's demoralising, however think of the benefits - you will look more ripped, you will lose a little bit of mass which can be easily built and do you really want to be lugging yourself round at that weight on a 5 - 6 mile run when you could be under 200lbs, still strong and have a good bod and just find it a wee bit easier on the PT side of things for less than a year. Then when you have finished you can hit the weights as much as you like. My advice, do what you need to GET IN. Once your in things tend to have a different outlook.... think how many larger people you've seen around in HM Forces who are 29 from the booze/chips!

Can I ask, do you have a visible 6 pack? (No homo or anything, just gives an idea of BF%). Also, why not post your queries in fitness? The boys over there know their cutting and bulking etc. and will be able to help no end. If you want some exampled fartlek workouts, go and read the big sticky in fitness, I've posted loads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxRAFNurse2bxx)
    do expand on that...........:yep:
    My initial medicals at RTS (spread over 2 seperate afternoons) included 5 jabs in total, 3 are done on the first visit, so in order to save time due to the large number of raw meat that needs processing, the nice medical type people jab you with 2 at the same time (one in each upper arm) then the third desperately. On the second visit it's again 2 needles at the same time. May have changed since then, but then again I don't know of any major diseases which have been wiped from the planet in the last couple of years.

Apologies for taking up thread space to everyone else, just answering the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AC Bloggs)
    My initial medicals at RTS (spread over 2 seperate afternoons) included 5 jabs in total, 3 are done on the first visit, so in order to save time due to the large number of raw meat that needs processing, the nice medical type people jab you with 2 at the same time (one in each upper arm) then the third desperately. On the second visit it's again 2 needles at the same time. May have changed since then, but then again I don't know of any major diseases which have been wiped from the planet in the last couple of years.

Apologies for taking up thread space to everyone else, just answering the question.

Check your PM's for my explanation of the thread of mine you commented on. Should clear things up :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I would update you all.

I have finally reached the goal weight of 88kg!!!! :yep:

Fax from my medical centre is winging its way as I type to the Medical Board at Cranwell and I should get a letter back within a couple of days (probably Tuesday because of the weekend) officially confirming my place on IOT15! To say I am over the moon is an understatement.

It has taken exactly 5 weeks to go from 97.5kg to 88kg today!

Just got to try and maintain it now over Christmas :woo: which is going to be the hard part - I am still going to keep going with the weight loss (if I can) but probably not so vigoriously, in order to lose a couple more lb's before the Christmas festivities so that I have a bit of a buffer zone to cope with the mincepies

Sorry LV for not replying earlier - but although I have the makings of a 6 pack, it isnt visible to the naked eye And cheers for that link, I have printed it off and have an appointment with my Doc next week hopefully so will go through it with him (just in case!).

'H'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.