Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That's impressive! See you there, 'H'!

ReputationRep:
    You've miss out there fella, people who turned up overweight/ unfit on IOT seem to get all the positive ECV's and good notes of action, while those of us that actually prepared, running good IOTFA times, moving form B to A steam within 2 weeks of starting course got crapped on because we werent improving...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Boo2204)
    It has taken exactly 5 weeks to go from 97.5kg to 88kg today!
    I haven't been following, but how the hell did you do that??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I haven't been following, but how the hell did you do that??
    A h*ll of a lot of extremely hard work!!

At my request I was monitored weekly at the med centre for my weight loss and also fortnightly at the gym. Also at the gym I had to sign in and out with details of what I had done that session with times/distances etc. Also i completed a food diary for the PEdO to look at. This was enough incentive in itself so I didnt look a complete fool each week!!

I did light weights and some CV work for 2 hours in the morning and a further 2 hours solid CV work in the afternoon - every day during the week. One of the CV sessions in the afternoon consisted of a 50 km bike ride (uphill). I also did a 3 mile run Tuesday evenings and at least a 5 mile run on Saturday or Sunday. After each session I would complete 2 mins each of pressups and situps. All this as well as cycling to work and back every day so been burning over a 1000 calories a day.

Also I cut out all alcohol and anything sweet and cut out coffee and switched to fruit/herbal teas. I certainly have NOT enjoyed one bit of it (ok some of the phys stuff probably but not on the whole).

I am absolutely shattered but I had to do it like this to give myself every chance of meeting their deadline of 17 December. Obviously with Christmas leave etc I needed to have confirmation sent to Cranwell at least a week before that date in order for them to have time to send confirmation that I am on IOT15 and for me to do a leaving routine for the Navy!!

'H'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo2204)
    A h*ll of a lot of extremely hard work!!

At my request I was monitored weekly at the med centre for my weight loss and also fortnightly at the gym. Also at the gym I had to sign in and out with details of what I had done that session with times/distances etc. Also i completed a food diary for the PEdO to look at. This was enough incentive in itself so I didnt look a complete fool each week!!

I did light weights and some CV work for 2 hours in the morning and a further 2 hours solid CV work in the afternoon - every day during the week. One of the CV sessions in the afternoon consisted of a 50 km bike ride (uphill). I also did a 3 mile run Tuesday evenings and at least a 5 mile run on Saturday or Sunday. After each session I would complete 2 mins each of pressups and situps. All this as well as cycling to work and back every day so been burning over a 1000 calories a day.

Also I cut out all alcohol and anything sweet and cut out coffee and switched to fruit/herbal teas. I certainly have NOT enjoyed one bit of it (ok some of the phys stuff probably but not on the whole).

I am absolutely shattered but I had to do it like this to give myself every chance of meeting their deadline of 17 December. Obviously with Christmas leave etc I needed to have confirmation sent to Cranwell at least a week before that date in order for them to have time to send confirmation that I am on IOT15 and for me to do a leaving routine for the Navy!!

'H'
    Wow, good sills mate! Nice work; glad it all paid off and well done on meeting your target so early! If you keep up your good eating habits and some CV coupled with decent weights; you'll see the fat drop off as if you were cutting. Honestly I doubt you'll lose that much muscle. Shame the didn't do a BF% on you before you started and just went on BMI because I reckon you've probably dropped a good % of BF rather than muscle. At least you'll be uber fit....!

ReputationRep:
    I was TMU for a while due to being underweight, but haven't been weighed since I passed my med board. Not even during the scary lost over a stone in five weeks at IOT period of my life, however it was a much commented upon time, and there was a massive, undue, obsession with my eating habits (by just about everyone but the medical professionals).

Having said that I seem to remember one of the recoursed people on biff flight wasn't able to hit green in the IOTFA, and a big song and dance was made of her weight. Couldn't tell you if this was a medical song and dance, or if anyone actually weighed the lass, but it became an issue.

I'd suggest, if I'm honest, a lot will depend on who happens to be your flight/sqn staff, and their viewpoint on it. Although if you can keep your fitness up it shouldn't matter. I'd also say the people at the lower end of the weight scale seem to struggle more physically then those at the higher end.

Quick disclaimer - obviously all of this is merely my opinion, not a fact, or an OACTU approved view. I also understand there are changes being made to the IOT course, and how it runs, which may impact all I have said.

ReputationRep:
    It was fine how it was!!!!!!! IOT 1, 2, 3 and 4 had it spot on!

They need to stop changing it. But then I'm sure Isis07 you'll remember my rant the other day on this matter :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.