The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University offer holders — idk anyone going

Hey! I’m coming to Lancaster in October, I’m rly excited as it was my firm choice and I love the facilities! My course is Drama, Theatre & Performance, but I don’t know anyone on the course. I’ve heard that there are group chats/ forums for freshers, but idk which websites to find them on. I also just rly want to meet people on my course/ in my accommodation, which will be County (townhouse).

Let me know if you’re going/ what course you’re doing!
(edited 1 year ago)
Look for Lancaster University Applicants & Offer Holders 2022 group on Facebook they have different chats for colleges courses etc according to my DD. Hope you have a great time come October!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Look for Lancaster University Applicants & Offer Holders 2022 group on Facebook they have different chats for colleges courses etc according to my DD
Original post by alicee.kace
Hey! I’m coming to Lancaster in October, I’m rly excited as it was my firm choice and I love the faculties! My course is Drama, Theatre & Performance, but I don’t know anyone on the course. I’ve heard that there are group chats/ forums for freshers, but idk which websites to find them on. I also just rly want to meet people on my course/ in my accommodation, which will be County (townhouse).

My daughter was in a grizedale townhouse couple of years ago.
You tuber called 'watchdevante' in his video archives hes got about 80 vlogs of his term there (he a canadian student) and he was in a County Townhouse. One of the reasons why she chose a townhouse was these videos, he had a lot of fun and so did she :smile:
And search on facebook 'The county college' and you will find that one. Plus freshers lancaster on facebook as well and you will find them there. Say hi and ask to get added to the gc, and they will :smile: County college group chat was very busy, and she was in a group chat back then called 'townhouse baddies' . lol think that was a home made one.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey! I’m coming to Lancaster in October, I’m rly excited as it was my firm choice and I love the faculties! My course is Drama, Theatre & Performance, but I don’t know anyone on the course. I’ve heard that there are group chats/ forums for freshers, but idk which websites to find them on. I also just rly want to meet people on my course/ in my accommodation, which will be County (townhouse).

Hi there,

What I did in my first year was to follow my college on social media (Instagram) and joined the group chat from there. Every college has its own social media accounts so I would recommend following them, maybe you will be able to meet people from your course in the college group chat too :smile: County college's instagram account is countycollege.

Lily (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi I also start in October and will be in county college though supreme en-suite and will be studying law and criminology I am also struggling to find people who are also going Lancaster
Original post by Shannonfulford
Hi I also start in October and will be in county college though supreme en-suite and will be studying law and criminology I am also struggling to find people who are also going Lancaster

daugher joined freshers group on fb and then got added to group chat from there.

Hi @alicee.kace and @Shannonfulford!

Firstly, congratulations and welcome to Lancaster! I hope that you have a great time here :smile:

I was in the same situation as yourselves when I started as I was the only person from my school going to Lancaster that year. I looked on Facebook and found freshers groups on there, I found that it was a good way to speak to other freshers and feel more comfortable and reassured even if I didn't meet all of them in real life once I got to campus.

From the main freshers group people started to make subject specific and college specific group chats. I found these to be the most helpful and ended up going to some of my first lecturers with people from the physics group chat and also managed to find and speak to some of my flatmates on the Furness group chat before we moved in which was also really nice.

I'd suggest finding one of these freshers groups on facebook and then asking to join your relevant group chats or even making them yourselves if they don't exist just yet!

One word of warning is that companies on freshers groups on Facebook may try to sell you club tickets for external events. Don't buy them, you don't need them and welcome week events are organised by your college JCR so they'll handle all the bookings for you.

Hope this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

lu_welcome.jpeg
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @alicee.kace and @Shannonfulford!

Firstly, congratulations and welcome to Lancaster! I hope that you have a great time here :smile:

I was in the same situation as yourselves when I started as I was the only person from my school going to Lancaster that year. I looked on Facebook and found freshers groups on there, I found that it was a good way to speak to other freshers and feel more comfortable and reassured even if I didn't meet all of them in real life once I got to campus.

From the main freshers group people started to make subject specific and college specific group chats. I found these to be the most helpful and ended up going to some of my first lecturers with people from the physics group chat and also managed to find and speak to some of my flatmates on the Furness group chat before we moved in which was also really nice.

I'd suggest finding one of these freshers groups on facebook and then asking to join your relevant group chats or even making them yourselves if they don't exist just yet!

One word of warning is that companies on freshers groups on Facebook may try to sell you club tickets for external events. Don't buy them, you don't need them and welcome week events are organised by your college JCR so they'll handle all the bookings for you.

Hope this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

lu_welcome.jpeg

I tried applying to groups on Facebook however I still haven’t been accepted

Same here! I'm doing econ (college TBC at some point :P)

nice to know that other people are also in my situation lol, I also haven’t been accepted into any groups on Facebook yet. is there maybe a Whatsapp group that could also be joined? I’m not sure what’s available
Original post by Chipmunks
Same here! I'm doing econ (college TBC at some point :P)

omg have fun with econ! and yeah a lot of people haven’t confirmed their colleges yet, I’m not sure why I was asked to confirm mine so early?
If you have had your accommodation offer email with the pdf with the link to the portal… you have to confirm you want it within 7 days or you will lose it & you don’t get another option offered either. Accommodation emails have been going out since results day but not all have (eg I know of someone who had Lancaster as an insurance and has been told to hold tight it will come soon) but do keep checking for it! Good luck and 🤞🏼You get the college/accommodation you wanted. There are definitely college chats to join and Instagram accounts to follow once you know your college.

it’s so good to meet other people that are gonna be in my college! I chose the townhouse option, but the en-suite looked really nice
it’s so good to meet other people that are gonna be in my college! I chose the townhouse option, but the en-suite looked really nice

My daughter was in the grizedale townhouse in sept 2020-july 2021 and it was the best option for her. Going for a shared in a townhouse is great as your sharing two bathrooms between 2 on one floor, so theres always one available. Plus they were all doing different courses, and had different timetables, so they was cooking at different times. It was lockdown at first and they did get pretty inventive when it came to nights in. The turn your bedroom into a themed bar and have a bar crawl was rather fun. And they all chipped in for a projector and had fifa nights or movie nights projected on the wall facing the seating area. plus many themed dress up nights. By the end of the year they had collected so much stuff. The christmas tree was still up, plus the huge spider they bought for halloween, and the paper plates spelling 'its coming home' when they watched the football. She had the best time even if it was 2020-2021 covid times. She lived with 7 of them in year 2 in a flat above a shop in the city centre and that was also really decent.
Which ever college/accommodation you will have the best time, Lancaster is a great uni :smile:
Heyy,
I'm going to Lancaster too!! I'm so excited but s9i scared at the same time. I dont know anyone going there and cant find any groups whatsoever. Even if I do they dont accept you :frown:
Original post by Cos00088
Heyy,
I'm going to Lancaster too!! I'm so excited but s9i scared at the same time. I dont know anyone going there and cant find any groups whatsoever. Even if I do they dont accept you :frown:

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/news/social-media/ This is the link to their social media. Worth checking out the college ones and asking on there if you can get added to the college group chats if they are some.
Heyy,

What accommodations are you in and what course are you doing?
Heyy,
Hello Guys!
Congrats to everyone on starting uni with us soon, hope you're excited!
Here is a link for a freshers 2022 facebook group and there's loads of people discussing their courses and accommodation so do check it out!!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2006053866318562
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LUFreshers
I hope this helps you guys into making some new friends :smile:

Vyomika (Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest