The Student Room Group

fluoxetine

Life has been hell, i've quit my job, left uni etc but after 4 years i finally bit the bullet and went to my appointment at the gp for my depression. I am tired of being tired. Lost friends, lost interest and motivation and gained nearly 4 stone.
Not even 5 minutes in she prescribed me with 20mg fluoxetine. I have a follow up appt in 2 weeks so see if things are working or need to increase or change.

My doc suggested taking it in the morning as it can cause problems with sleep (which i already have). I was on amitriptyline for 6 weeks but i felt so tired and drowsy the next day so i had to stop.
Day 1 - i took it at 8am, went back to sleep and woke up at 11am. No such side effects today and i hope it stays this way lol.
day 2- 8am, headache and leg pain but dunno if that's related.

I have seen a lot of mixed reactions to fluo. My main concern is just gaining more weight. ive been trying to control it for a year but its been difficult. hardly lost 10lbs without gaining back.
I've been on it for 3 months. Had some side-effects for the first couple of weeks (headaches being one) but they settled. My sleep is better than it was, if anything. I have gained maybe a couple of kilos but it's more due to overeating than fluoxetine. It has helped a lot with thoughts of wanting to do something to myself, but my mood is only marginally better.
i kinda hate how quickly gps prescribe antidepressants, it makes me feel like it's a quick and obvious fix and that all that time i spent suffering was for nothing. it also doesn't solve much since im still going to have the same issues and problems before taking it as i will after. but anyways, i'd take anything to not feel anything.
Original post by Anonymous
i kinda hate how quickly gps prescribe antidepressants, it makes me feel like it's a quick and obvious fix and that all that time i spent suffering was for nothing. it also doesn't solve much since im still going to have the same issues and problems before taking it as i will after. but anyways, i'd take anything to not feel anything.

Speaking as someone who has had episodes of depression on and off since the age of 11 and has been very resistant to taking any medication until recently, they have helped me massively. Of course they won't solve any life issues that you have, but if you are severely clinically depressed with all the biological symptoms and not just feeling low because of *****y life circumstances, they really can help if you are taking the right one for you. I have gone from not wanting to be around and struggling to get out of bed even to go the toilet to having energy to cook and clean and enjoying silly little things like getting a smile from a toddler. Therapy, on the other hand, did very little for me because I already know to do the things the teach, I just wasn't in the place to be able to implement them.

Quick Reply

Latest