The Student Room Group

Is Sheffield a good uni?

Hey so I recently got into Sheffield uni to study law and I was over the moon as I got the grades I needed for my first choice and got into a Russell group uni for a competitive course, however I was speaking to ones of my friends and he said Sheffield aren't a particularly great uni and are probably one of the lowest in Russell group and I was just wondering if that was the case or if its a worthwhile place to study?
If you like the course, and the city, and other relevant factors, it will not be a bad decision for you. If, however, you take what your friend has said and ignore reality, that's up to you.
Its a fabulous Uni - you will have a great time there.

Some people will always try to brag that My-Uni-Is-Better-Than-Your-Uni - it makes then feel 'clever'. Its actually a symptom of their own insecurity and immaturity. Your 'friend' has never been to Sheffiled Uni so how would they know. Real friends do not try and undermine you. Find some nicer ones at Sheffield.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by OVLD68
Hey so I recently got into Sheffield uni to study law and I was over the moon as I got the grades I needed for my first choice and got into a Russell group uni for a competitive course, however I was speaking to ones of my friends and he said Sheffield aren't a particularly great uni and are probably one of the lowest in Russell group and I was just wondering if that was the case or if its a worthwhile place to study?

Not that league tables are any realistic reflection of the quality of the university as a whole, but Sheffield is high in league tables for a vast majority of its subjects and offers some of the most diverse outreach research projects in the country. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of only recognising the 'elite' Russell groups (Durham etc.) that rely/play on their Russell Group status and so assume that other unis that don't have the same level of entitlement/elitism are worse off. All unis are good unis if they offer a great course and a good environment! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending