Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello IB&C people,

Basically, I've decided that I think i want to pursue a career in equity research/investment management on the buy-side. I was wondering what everyone considered to be the biggest players in terms of internships.. and also what are some smaller ones? I'm kind of looking to get off the beaten track a bit, as my extra curriculars aren't so hot, so any smaller - yet still respected - asset management places that do internships would be appreciated.

I would also consider places other than London. Particuarly interested in anything in Edinburgh, for example, and have applied to the BG intership..

thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Why not the sell-side? I wouldn't apply solely for asset management, many places don't do internships and they usually have a maximum of 2-5 places in ER/investment for interns.

ReputationRep:
    It's harder to get into buy-side than into the sell-side, and I'm even talking not about the lower number of vacancies.

I think the larger AM firms would fit your bill of offering buy-side equity research (i.e. BGI, BR, JPMAM), but as oblivious said, they don't have the many openings specifically for interns in ER.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, easier on the sell-side you say.

Still on the same note though, even on the buy-side, are there any smaller firms that are worth applying to? Or ones that don't require that much time to complete the app, at least then I can properly hedge my bets.

uthinkilltellu, you seem to be getting your offers nailed. how many do you have now?

ReputationRep:
    Realistically, equity research in general is very difficult to get into.

Teams are smaller than S&T and many analysts have been around for at least a decade. They don't tend to hire shedloads of grads compared to other divisions.

If you're at a target uni, go on your careers service, use a scattergun approach and apply for anything, buy-side or sell-side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceteris paribus)
    Ah ok, easier on the sell-side you say.

Still on the same note though, even on the buy-side, are there any smaller firms that are worth applying to? Or ones that don't require that much time to complete the app, at least then I can properly hedge my bets.

uthinkilltellu, you seem to be getting your offers nailed. how many do you have now?
    I can't think of that many small buyside firms that have easy applications and hire interns? Hmmm. Try Glencore International, even though they might not have equity research, they definately do internships and they could have a commods research dept.

You might also try different research thinktanks (can't think of any atm, sorry), and even though they might not be banks, and not buy-side for that matter, atleast it'll give you a chance to properly hedge your bets.

More than some, less than others.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.