Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    No not at all, I’m more motivated by success than money. I’ve always said I’d much rather have a career doing something I really love than something which pays well. Obviously money is important to some extent, but to be honest I think it’s better to enjoy what you do than be earning a lot of money in a job you hate. So many people seem to be doing degrees in subjects which will allow them to enter high paid careers once they graduate rather than something they really have a passion for. Sometimes it comes with both, but I think what you like should always come first.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Since finding out that I was receiving a pretty major scholarship from uni I've not missed a single lecture or lab class. So yeah, I'm pretty motivated by it. However, I think I'm more motivated by other things - my parents approval and my girlfriend being far more important.

ReputationRep:
    I'm motivated by money only insofar as money is required for me to attain those things that are fundamentally necessary to my life.

As soon as those things are sorted, I couldn't care less whether I've got a penny or a million pounds.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I will always take the best paid job in life.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much by money itself, more by what i can achieve if i have money. Fundamentally i'm motivated by happiness, and if that comes without needing money then thats fine by me. Afterall, thats the only reason people would want money isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    As long as I've got enough to scrape by, I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    i always think of money as an engine rather than an evil quantity (most people just think of it as an evil quantity because they don't have it). money provides the force that lets you enjoy your life because let's face it -- nothing in this world is free (unless it's sex with a drunk girl).

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am motivated by money. If I had to be in a job I absolutely loathed then no, money wouldn't be THE most important thing, but I'm so insecure that money is pretty high up there on my list of priorities. I'd love to be secure and able to do whatever I want and not have to rely on anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I'm motivated by honey

ReputationRep:
    So long as I have enough to pay my bills, thats fine. I wouldn't know what to do with much more money than I needed to survive on! There are much more important thngs in life.

ReputationRep:
    yeah course, anyone who isnt must be stupid or trying to look 'deep, philisophical' or talking some other ********! its what keeps us alive, and lots of it cna help with things

ReputationRep:
    I would be in a job.
    If it was something for family/friends, not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    Not so much by money itself, more by what i can achieve if i have money. Fundamentally i'm motivated by happiness, and if that comes without needing money then thats fine by me. Afterall, thats the only reason people would want money isnt it?
    I know what you mean. .

Tia xx

ReputationRep:
    YEAHH! :p:
    I mean, i think pretty much everyone is! I wouldn't like to work in a job i hated just because i earnt alot tho...

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

ReputationRep:
    this thread should be moved to IB&C

ReputationRep:
    If I won the lottery tomorrow then NO

Otherwise YES

Unfortunately money talks

ReputationRep:
    Massively. If I had all the money I wanted, I'd learn to fly, skydive on a weekend, go surf in hawaii once a month, ski in canada now and then, have someone do my washing and iron my clothes.

If I had money, I'd have more time to visit family, spend time with friends, be a recluse for a couple of days with no effect on my life. If I had money I would live my life so much differently, most of all I'd learn as much as possible, that includes sports like skydiving or academic study such as environmental science. Would I do a degree at university to learn about it? No way, I could learn just as much teaching myself from books or going on a research trip to antarctica etc.

Could I do alot of that stuff without alot of money? Sure I could but I'd spend a year living a boring 9-5 for a couple of months fun. What I want is to be able to do is what I want, when I want. That's when I know I'll be truly successful.

So yes, money motivates me more than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    I am motivated by money when taking shifts, but once I have agreed to them, the monetary gain takes a back-burner to my desire not to let people down.

May not be the best way to work, but it suits me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.