Soical demands and the final year Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
My mate keeps asking me to go out all the time, to numerous gigs, and meet up after work etc. I am already going out three times this weekend which I can't really afford the money or time for. He works so his schedule is 9-5 then he is free all other time, my times are very different, I can have lie ins but I then I have to be doing my project all the time. I also have an assesment tomorrow morning.

He wants me to go this beer festival tonight, but the last few things he has asked me to go I have had to turn down becuase I haven't had the time, I am going to have to turn him down tonight as well. It feels like I am making excuses but everyday more and more work piles up.

I feel like I am neglected the freindship but on the other hand if I do go I would feel like I am neglecting my degree and its only 6 months till I graduate so that would be a shame.

I had a similier problem with another friend when I was at college, he kept coming round every night when I had loads of assingments to do I had to tell him to stop coming round in the end.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You need to get the balance right. I only go to college, but i can assume it's roughly the same thing.

You need to make sure that you don't forget your assignments/coursework, but a night out every now and then isn't such a bad thing. It's good to give yourself a break.

I make sure i go out at least once a week. Usually friday nights, as i have Football on a Sunday morning.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
He works so his schedule is 9-5 then he is free all other time, my times are very different,
but they don't have to be - you could schedule/manage your workload into 9-5 if you wanted to
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
but they don't have to be - you could schedule/manage your workload into 9-5 if you wanted to
chance would be a fine thing :eek:
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
chance would be a fine thing :eek:
It's not that hard to do most of your work between 9am and 5pm and then spend a couple of hour on a couple of nights a week on anything that isn't managed within that time.....most of the problems people seem to have is finding (and sustaining throughout the day) the motivation to do work between lectures/seminars/tutorials...and not succumbing to the lure of lie-ins/leaving campus at 4pm....personally I found the benefits of having my evenings free to relax were motivation enough
AT82
Rep:
?
Lol yep, I am not suggesting that I never go out because of work, its just going out 4 times in one week when you're in the final year is too much. Especialy it as it can cost £30 a time and I have £3000 a year to live off.

I would never be able to work 9-5 even in a job, I much prefer to work none stop but go out when I can. I could never imagine not doing anything. I can't sit still so if I worked 9-5 I would be bored to death at work, but when I get home I would also be very bored.

I've just texted him to say I can't go, I am going out with him on friday and sunday anyway.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
It's not that hard to do most of your work between 9am and 5pm and then spend a couple of hour on a couple of nights a week on anything that isn't managed within that time.....most of the problems people seem to have is finding (and sustaining throughout the day) the motivation to do work between lectures/seminars/tutorials...and not succumbing to the lure of lie-ins/leaving campus at 4pm....personally I found the benefits of having my evenings free to relax were motivation enough
I was up at 11:30 today, that was early for me! Although I was up at 6:30am yesterday.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was up at 11:30 today, that was early for me! Although I was up at 6:30am yesterday.
If I wanted to be able to park at uni I had to leave the house at 7-7:30am to get to campus by 8:30am before all the free parking spaces were gone...and when I was in my student house I had to move my car by 7:30am anyway so used to get to uni at 8am and sit and have a bacon butty and read a book before lectures.

It's scary how easy it is to get into the habit/routine of getting up early
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If I wanted to be able to park at uni I had to leave the house at 7-7:30am to get to campus by 8:30am before all the free parking spaces were gone...and when I was in my student house I had to move my car by 7:30am anyway so used to get to uni at 8am and sit and have a bacon butty and read a book before lectures.

It's scary how easy it is to get into the habit/routine of getting up early
I hate routine though, I just prefer to live mad life style of getting up late and going to bed at 3:00am. I just think I am too young for coco before bed etc. I can get up early if I need to but when working at home I don't need to as I can work 12:00-11:00pm and I have done this when I had had work contracts. What is amazing though is that if you get paid or somthing you seem to get it done much quicker than university work.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
I may try that next week, seems like a good idea Just hope there aren't any full 9-5 days of lectures, working during the lunch hour would be counterproductive in my case as my tummy would disturb everyone sitting within 8ft of me in the afternoon

AT, out 4 nights a week??! You can't have it all...!
AT82
Rep:
?
Timeofyourlife thats the problem, there was a time when I would go out once a month if I was lucky. The novelty is fast wearing off now though, maybe its because I am 23 this year and I am aging rapidly. In a years time I will probably be moaning how its 10:30pm and my sister is stopping me from going to sleep!

Anyway I am off now, need to get this work done.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Timeofyourlife thats the problem, there was a time when I would go out once a month if I was lucky. The novelty is fast wearing off now though, maybe its because I am 23 this year and I am aging rapidly. In a years time I will probably be moaning how its 10:30pm and my sister is stopping me from going to sleep!

Anyway I am off now, need to get this work done.
aging rapidly? I wouldn't get your will sorted just yet :d personally, once a month would certainly not be enough, and four times a week would be excessive especially if you're in the final year with exams coming up.

i only go out on friday nights and monday nights (i.e. clubbing). if i go out inbetween these it will be somewhere like the cinema or pub where i'm home by 12. otherwise there's no way i'd beable to get up for 9am lectures every day.
Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maybe you should spend less time on here if you are pushed to make time for other things?
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lol yep, I am not suggesting that I never go out because of work, its just going out 4 times in one week when you're in the final year is too much. Especialy it as it can cost £30 a time and I have £3000 a year to live off.

I would never be able to work 9-5 even in a job, I much prefer to work none stop but go out when I can. I could never imagine not doing anything. I can't sit still so if I worked 9-5 I would be bored to death at work, but when I get home I would also be very bored.

I've just texted him to say I can't go, I am going out with him on friday and sunday anyway.
You live at home and you have a part time job!!!
When I lived at home and earned 12 grand a year. I managed to pay my parents nominal rent (bless them), buy my food, buy a £4500 car +road tax and car insurance and running the car, pay for gym membership, go out at least twice a week pay for driving lessons, and still save £3000 which is paying towards me being at uni now.

It is easy to live off 3 grand a year if you live at home, if you are paying enough rent for it to strap you for cash why are you living at home in the first place?

Edit: Forget that I just read the CD thread you obviously spend all your money on music.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I hate routine though, I just prefer to live mad life style of getting up late and going to bed at 3:00am. I just think I am too young for coco before bed etc. I can get up early if I need to but when working at home I don't need to as I can work 12:00-11:00pm and I have done this when I had had work contracts. What is amazing though is that if you get paid or somthing you seem to get it done much quicker than university work.
Wouldn't you rather get up early see your friends and have a social life? I know which I would prefer.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.1%
No (233)
75.9%

Watched Threads