Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've set up a chemistry club at my school and today was the first day. We managed to get roughly 11 people, pretty good for chemistry and 11 year olds lol.

However, we've run out of things to do (didn't take long ) They made cyrstals this lunchtime, and the Wednesday after next, they're making slime lol. Apart from that the only other idea is making 'alien blood', what other things could we do that:
    1) are fairly safe for 11-13 year olds to do,
    2) require things that are fairly easily available from the science department (we're waiting for the slime ingredients - I don't really want to have to keep asking them to order things lol) and
    3) are fun.

Thanks for any ideas.

ReputationRep:
    for year 7 and 8? nothing

you're better off doing physics experiments at that age

ReputationRep:
    OOO!

Magnesium burning, so amusing at 12 years old. :p:
    Ph testing was quite cool too also I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astudentinneed)
    for year 7 and 8? nothing

you're better off doing physics experiments at that age
    LOL, do you by any chance study physics?

Do you mean that in refernce to the safety aspect, or the interesting part?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, burning magnesium is good. Especially when you don't know what's going to happen, and you do it even though your teacher tells you to wait :p: I've always wanted to do that ice thing with sodium acetate.

ReputationRep:
    i love colourful one
    group 1 and 2 experiments
    and titrations with pretty colour changes
    transition metal ones too

i still enjoyed them in year 13 :p:

ReputationRep:
    Jelly baby experiment! The theory behind is hard but the experient is fairly easy/funish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zygroth)
    Yeah, burning magnesium is good. Especially when you don't know what's going to happen, and you do it even though your teacher tells you to wait :p: I've always wanted to do that ice thing with sodium acetate.
    The only problem is that the year 7s would have done that at the begining of the term.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure by slime if you mean the old "sheer-thickening fluid" experiment with cornflour + water.

You can do the old experiment with the bell jar, egg and a candle to show oxygen being used up.

Burn some magnesium, that's always fun.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 12, 2008

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.